Maybe you’re on a business trip, maybe you’re going out of state for college, maybe you’ve moved a few states over. Either way, you’re sure to be bombarded with questions about your North Carolina heritage and ‘just what’s up’ with the Tar Heel State in general. While some are a little outlandish, these seventeen I’ve heard time and time again.
1. Duke or Carolina?
Everyone in the state does have their preference. But you might be greeted with a 'Wolfpack' or 'Pirates' or 'Mountaineers.'
2. So you root for the Panthers?
I do! (8-0!!) But North Carolina has a lot of transplants, too...
3. Which do you like better, the mountains or the beach?
Luckily I don't have to choose!
4. Eastern or Western style BBQ?
I'm starting to realize NC is a very divided state...
5. Why do people freak out and buy bread and milk when it snows?
Good questions. My snow day priorities are in the wine aisle...
6. Have you been in a hurricane?
Only like twice a year...
7. What's the longest you were out of school for snow?
Back to the snow questions...yes, it snows in the south, crazy I know! But...mine would be two weeks. Readers? What about y'all?
8. Why do you say y'all?
Bless your heart.
9. Do you know [insert name]?
Wait, are they related to [insert name]? Did they go to this high school? Oh my gosh, I think I actually do! Well not them, their sister, or maybe cousin, but that sounds familiar.
That's usually how that goes for me....
10. So you must really love grits?
I mean assuming is kind of rude, but who am I kidding, of course I do!
11. Have you been to Bojangles?
I LOVE when people ask this one because it allows me to talk about how much I love Bojangles for upwards of five minutes.
12. Does everyone there smoke?
13. What's the deal with Cheerwine?
I mean have you tried Cheerwine?
14. Have you been to Asheville? I've heard it's like really weird and cool.
I can't tell you how many times I've been asked this.
15. Does everyone love NASCAR?
Depends on the person.
16. Do you know someone who makes moonshine? Do you like moonshine?
Honestly those little mason jars just appear like it's Christmas.
17. What's your favorite thing about North Carolina?
Everything. From the people, to the culture, to the scenery...we're so lucky to be Tar Heels.
What questions would you add to the list? What do people ask you about North Carolina? Tell us in the comments!