20 North Carolina Mom-isms We’ve All Heard
Southern mama’s sure are a gift. While we’re lucky to be raised in North Carolina, that also comes with some classic southern advice from the ones who ALWAYS know best. And I’ll admit, I’ve found myself saying a few of these now, and understanding and appreciating them from an adult perspective.
If you grew up in North Carolina, you were sure to hear these 20 sayings and bits of wisdom!
1. “Pretty is as pretty does.”
2. “You can put lipstick on a pig, but it’s still a pig.”
I heard this from my mom when I was dating this guy, and it was basically a southern wakeup call, that no matter what, you can’t change people.
3. “You’ll catch more flies with honey than vinegar.”
Sometimes you just gotta be sweet.
4. “They can stick it where the sun don’t shine”
I wonder where that could be? 😉
5. “I’m madder than a wet hen.”
6. “It all comes out in the wash.”
It will all be ok in the end.
7. “Don’t get your feathers ruffled over nothing.”
The southern way of saying..don’t make a mountain out of a mole hill.
8. “Don’t get too big for your britches.”
AKA…always be down to Earth, no matter what!
9. “Mama didn’t raise no fool.”
Meaning you’re too smart for whatever you just got yourself into!
10. “You’re barking up the wrong tree.”
Mind your own business, or just let something go.
11. “Shut the front door, were you raised in a barn?”
I remember hearing this one for sure!
13. “Slow as molasses”
The southern way to say “slow.” And I mean “really slow.”
14. “Boy I tell you what.”
This meant either 1. An epic story was about to be told. 2. You were in serious trouble. 3. A gossip session was about to occur.
15. “I’d never wear white after Labor Day.”
16. “Well hush my mouth!”
Did I really just hear that?!
17. “There you go flyin’ off the handle again.”
Keep your cool!
18. “She’s whiskey in a tea cup.”
This could be good or bad depending on what/who you were talking about.
19. “I brought you into this world, I can take you out.”
Don’t cross mama!
20. “Bless your heart.”
Unless we were sick/sad/injured, we never wanted to hear this one if it was in regards to ourselves!
Which ones have you heard your mama say? Tell us in the comments!