Growing up is hard to do. Once we reach adulthood, we start to realize all of the subtle ways in which our home has shaped us into the people we are today. I’m so happy, and proud, to call North Carolina my home. If it wasn’t for me growing up in this great state, I wouldn’t have learned these 20 life lessons.
1. Go at your own pace
Life is full of ups and downs, and as North Carolinians we know there's nothing wrong with taking a day to relax on the front porch with a sweet tea in hand.
2. The greatest joy is found by living in the moment.
Rather we're hiking the Blue Ridge, or surfing OBX, North Carolinians know how to live in the moment and make the most out of life.
3. Always stand up for what you believe in, and if you fail the first time, try again.
Just look at amendment one.
4. Fortune favors the bold, and legacies last forever.
Take for example, all of the famous people from North Carolina. They were bold and brave and have forever left their mark on the world.
5. Yet, sometimes the underdog can surprise us all.
Michael Jordan didn't make the varsity basketball team his sophomore year in high school due to his height.
6. So, if you find yourself feeling like the underdog, or constantly disappointed, never, ever, give up on your dreams and goals.
7. Family is a gift to cherish
North Carolinians love their families. Rather it be parents, grandparents, siblings, or cousins...our southern ways have taught us to always remember where we came from.
8. A meal made with love, and enjoyed with people you love, is one of the best simple joys in life.
They don't call it "comfort food" for no reason. Us natives love our southern cookin' and usually no one makes it better than grandma.
9. Get passionate about what you believe in!
Without sheer passion, the greatest rivalry in college sports would never exist!
10. Not everyone is going to like what you like.
Just take our BBQ for example, no one will EVER agree which one is better, and that is ok! The great BBQ debate just adds to the awesomeness of our state.
11. The best way to clear your mind is with a long walk in nature.
North Carolina is too beautiful not to take long walks.
12. Sun, sand, and salt are the three best cures for anything.
It's amazing how relaxed, and clear headed you feel after a long vacation on the Outer Banks!
13. If you ever find yourself alone, or unsure of your path, take the road less traveled and the one most true to your soul.
Since we were little, we've always been way more interested in those little, overgrown trails off the Blue Ridge than the popular ones. We are all explorers at heart--we can't forget that!
14. When times get tough, never forget how much you love to swim.
Summers on the NC coast can be applied to life's problems as well. If you run away from that wave, it will chase you, if you try to resist, it will knock you down, if you dive in and find your own strength, it will pass over you.
15. Some rules are made to be broken.
If it wasn't for moonshine, Nascar would have never come to be.
16. Trust the timing of your life.
Just like seasons change and beautiful foliage appears on the Blue Ridge, we all grow at our own pace, we all blossom and bloom and flourish when it is right for us.
17. Because life can seem like a race, but remember we all begin and end in the same place.
The legacy you're creating now will last long after the 'race' has ended.
18. Respect your elders.
As southerners, and North Carolinians, we are taught from a young age to always respect our elders. I have learned so much wisdom from my grandparents. They are truly a gift to be cherished and hold many of life's secrets we have yet to learn. Love yall!
19. If someone consistently treats you poorly, be strong and tell them to take a hike!
Preferably on the Appalachian Trail with zero camping supplies. Just kidding 😉
20. Never forget your roots.
Maybe one day you will find yourself rich and famous in Hollywood. Just like several other North Carolinians have. But, never forget where you came from and how lucky we are to have been raised in such an amazing, beautiful state!
There’s no denying I felt a bit, sentimental, writing this list. I just love my home so much! What life lessons have you learned from growing up here?