Living in New York shapes our residents into being unique characters, and we are often easy to spot when we step outside of our home state. But for many of us, it isn’t until we travel out of town that we realize so many of the everyday things that we do aren’t your average activities. While you won’t have New Yorkers heads turning, here’s a list of things that we do that seem insane to everyone else.
1. We get a thrill out of jumping into our icy cold bodies of water during the winter.
All over New York you'll find our residents doing Polar Bear Plunges throughout the winter. While our west coast friends may think we're out of our minds, we wouldn't trade it for anything else!
2. And if you thought a little snow would stop us from hitting our favorite trails and climbing to our most beloved mountain tops? You'd be wrong.
Some may only prefer to hike during the warmer months of the year, but New Yorkers can be found hitting the trails all year long. Snowshoes anyone?
3. Because the snow will never stop us from carrying on with our day.
Other states may completely shut down at the thought of any snow coming, but for New Yorkers? It's just another winter day and we'll still be heading to work and doing all that fun stuff. We're more than use to dealing with the harsh weather.
4. The idea of having to shovel off your roof may seem wild to some, but it's an annual chore that we've gotten use to dealing with.
We don't use our shovels to only clear out our driveways, you'll also find us using them to clear off our roofs and even our cars depending on how buried in snow they are.
5. Speaking of shoveling... When our stadiums fill up with snow, dedicated New Yorkers are willing to pitch in to help clear them out.
We want to see our favorite teams out on the field so badly that we're willing to do just about anything. You can still find us outside tailgating even during the coldest of weather.
6. We throw on shorts and sandals the second temperatures rise above 50 degrees.
With long and harsh winters, we can't help but get excited at the sign of warm weather!
7. We drive around just to enjoy the amazing views that we have.
Others may not think of this as a fun time, but in New York we have no problem killing time and hanging out in the car with our friends just driving around.
8. We prefer our pies to be grape, please and thank you!
Out of state friends may think grape pies sound unpleasant, but there's no other flavor of pie that we'd rather have.
9. If you're feeling parched and ask for water, don't expect us to get you a bottle from the fridge. You'll be handed a glass that's filled with water that came straight out of our faucet!
Other states may have refrigerators filled with bottled water and Brita pitchers. But in New York? We have water that tastes so good we can drink it straight out of the tap.
10. Another thing people find odd? That we drive to our state parks to bottle up this amazing water of ours.
Take a visit to places like Saratoga Spa State Park and you'll find visitors from all over bottling up this water that's even said to have healing powers! No two springs in Saratoga taste the same.
11. We have a strange sense of pride in our unusual roadside attractions.
Take The Big Duck down in the small town of Flanders out on Long Island for example!
12. For whatever reason, people seem to think we're crazy for being obsessed with a particular grocery store.
Wegmans is the only supermarket that will always have our heart.
Has an out-of-town friend ever commented on something unusual that you do as a New Yorker? To reminisce on why it’s so great to be a resident of the Empire State, drool over these
11 Dishes That You Have To Eat In New York Before You Die!