There’s certain things about New York that only our residents will ever be able to fully understand. From our native dishes that out-of-town visitors may not find appealing to understanding the differences in all our different regions, there’s 17 things that only people from New York know to be true:
1. There's more to New York than New York City.
Lea Monroe/Only In Your State
Outside of the 8 million residents you'll find living in the Big Apple, this is something that rings true for all of us.
2. But also...how exciting is New York City?
You're sitting on an airplane waiting to board, when you suddenly find yourself chatting it up with the passenger next to you. The point in the conversation approaches where you know they're going to ask you where you're from and what will soon happen after. They pop the question and ask where you hail from, you correctly respond "New York" and your heart is instantly smushed when you're met with the reply "New York City?" Sigh. But all of those instances go flying out of your mind once you're actually in New York City. This city is full of life and variety, and wins over the hearts of many.
3. Our iconic amusement parks are filled with nostalgia and excitement.
Many of our iconic amusement parks fall in our downstate territory, like Luna Park and Rye Playland. You may have even seen some of these places in your favorite movies!
4. And our adventurous natural attractions are even better.
When our residents think of the most beautiful and magical places to visit, our minds usually go towards the waterfalls in Watkins Glen. We can't help it! Places like these hiding within our state are real life fairytales and we're proud to say they're a part of our home.
5. Discovering haunted places and local ghost stories is one of our favorite things.
Maybe because they're the perfect combination of adventure, fear and historical nostalgia, but whatever the reason is, we sure do love checking out haunted places. We can't say no!
6. There's nothing better than following up a hard days work with a glass of New York wine.
New York may not be a place those from out of state would generally associate great wine with, but all our residents know that is surely what everyone
should be thinking. From the Finger Lakes to Long Island, we know how to do adult beverages right!
7. And don't even try to tell us that there's anywhere better to grab a slice of pizza than our home state.
If I were to drop a hypothetical microphone after exclaiming any one of these reasons off of our list, it would most likely and hypothetically be this one. We
love our pizza.
8. We also know that Long Island is an enchanting place that is often underrated.
Many people view Long Island as an extension of New York City, or forget to even look beyond what's past the bright lights. But our residents know that there is so much beauty on this island! From beautiful parks, unforgettable beaches and amazing places to eat, we'll always suggest a visit here.
9. There's no better place to live if you want to fully experience all four seasons.
Sure, some of us may not be so in love with the colder months we have, but boy are they worth it! Seeing beautiful flowers bloom in spring and the stunning leaves change during our fall foliage, you can't beat it! Taking a scenic drive during the fall while the leaves our changing is one our favorite things to do.
10. An ongoing debate has be taking place since the beginning of time over what exactly is Upstate New York.
Ask one of our residents from the Big Apple and they'll tell you that anything above their head is considered Upstate, while others in the nearby area will often fight over claim to call their home towns Upstate New York. This is a debate that can get heated amongst us!
So, what do you consider Upstate?
11. Our famous Garbage Plates are far from garbage.
Sure, they're called garbage plates. But, really? These dishes are more like magical mini mountains that are made out of all your favorite foods.
12. Visiting the Adirondacks is like diving into your own paradise.
This particular area of New York is one that residents from all over make a point to visit.
13. Our waterfalls will completely drop your jaw.
From the Catskills to the Adirondacks and all the way out to the Finger Lakes, there's gorgeous waterfalls for everyone to explore.
14. We know that you always call these wings, and never Buffalo wings.
You'll never hear our residents calling them Buffalo wings.
15. That living in New York can mean something completely different to all of our residents.
New York is basically a bunch of little states crammed into one. Make a list of things residents in Western New York love and know to be true, and our Downstate residents will have no idea what half the stuff is you're talking about. Depending on where you live, visiting a different area other than your home town can be like taking a trip to an entirely new world! But this is one of the many wonderful things about living here. Our regions are full of variety and different walks of life!
16. The Catskills are full of hidden gems, there's no place like it.
Adventure wise, this region can often be over shadowed by the famous mountains of the Adirondacks. In recent years, the area has become quite popular once again!
17. Oh yeah, and there's nothing quite like watching someone from out of town try and pronounce the names you'll find on our map.
Sometimes driving through our state means doing a double-take at the sign you just saw, realizing you have no idea how to pronounce the name of the town you just read. With names like Skaneateles, Oswegatchie and Schaghticoke, your tongue can get a bit twisted!
To watch a group of out-of-towners attempt to pronounce some of our town names,
What are some other things that only people from New York know to be true? Tell us which things on our list you relate the most to!