New York residents will come together to agree, our state is beautiful during all four seasons of the year. Sure, some of us may enjoy watching the seasons change but none of us are ready to let go of summer quiet yet. Everyone’s summer bucket lists may not look exactly the same, but there’s certain areas of New York that just
have to be seen before summer is over, and this incredible state park is one of them!
Located in Kerhonkson within Ulster County, here are 10 reasons to visit Minnewaska State Park Preserve right now:
1. Covering 22,000 acres, there's plenty to see here.
Known as one of New York's largest parks, there's enough to keep everyone busy here.
2. And there's absolutely nothing like exploring in the 'Gunks.
Bringing you thousands of feet above sea level, there's truly nothing like exploring up in the Shawangunk Ridge. The mixture of rocky terrain and dense forest makes for a wonderful adventure.
3. What's a New York park without some waterfalls, right?
The park preserve features several waterfalls. The most popular waterfall for visitors to explore while they're here is Awosting Falls, pictured in the first two photos above. The waterfall is just a quick hike from the main parking lot and is over 60-feet tall. The last waterfall you can see pictured above can be found in Sam's Point Preserve, Verkeerderkill Falls demands a bit more hiking out of its visitors than the other waterfalls.
4. There's nothing like discovering the park's eye-catching geological features.
Pictured above, you can see Patterson's Pellet, a glacial erratic boulder resting right on one of the ledge's of this amazing park. If you're exploring the Millbrook Mountain Carriage Road then you'll eventually come across this natural attraction.
5. Scenic trails will surround you with lush forest and beautiful rock formations.
One of the many reasons hikers enjoy exploring this New York park so much? The variety in trails. Not only will the different trails bring you through all kinds of environments, they also vary in length. Here, you'll find nearly 40-miles of footpaths!
6. There's no better place to go rock climbing in New York than right here.
Rock Climbing at Minnewaska State Park Preserve was established all the way back in 1935 when the first rock-climbing route was complete. New York residents and visitors from all over have been enjoying the unbelievable views from these rock climbing adventures ever since.
7. The park is only an hour and half away from the Big Apple!
When we trade in our peaceful small town life for the excitement of the city, we often miss getting outside into the wilderness the most. Well, no worries! Less than two hours away from New York City, you can explore Minnewaska State Park Preserve!
8. Pack your binoculars, there's wildlife to watch!
From friendly newts that you'll find along the trails to your average ducks that will hang out by the water, there's plenty to keep your eyes peeled for!
9. There's plenty of areas for you to cool off and enjoy a picnic!
With so much to see and explore, you'll want to find an area for relaxing at some point during your day.This is where these wonderful areas come in handy!
10. The lakes here are only fed by rain, creating beautiful and clear bodies of water.
Minnewaska features three sky lakes, all of which are absolutely stunning.