With so much to see and explore inside New York, our residents often get overwhelmed at the thought of picking a spot to take an adventure to. Many of our most popular outdoor activities can feel intimidating to those who are new to exploring. So, where does one go to enjoy an easy day of adventure with Mother Nature? No need to worry, we’ve picked out 11 epic outdoorsy things in New York that anyone can do. Check them out!
1. Forget staying dry and enjoy a one of a kind adventure at Niagara Falls' Cave of the Winds!
Best to experience on a warm day where you won't mind the huge mist of Niagara Falls splashing all on you, this thrilling adventure is a must when visiting our state's most popular attraction.
2. Grab your bike or just your own two feet and explore the unbelievable trails of Shadmoor State Park on Long Island.
What's better than a hike through the forest? A hike that brings you along beautiful bluffs and the ocean shores, of course! With old ruins from World War II and breathtaking views of the ocean, you'll never want to leave this magical gem.
3. Have your breath taken away at the Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge in Seneca Falls.
One of the best places in our entire state to watch our wildlife and enjoy the surrounding nature, you'll find this slice of heaven at the north end of Cayuga Lake. One of the most magical things about this place? There are several Bald Eagle nests within the wetlands, offering you a great opportunity to spot out in their habitat!
4. Catch an unforgettable sunset at the Ashokan Reservoir in Ulster County.
While the waters of the Ashokan Reservoir are protected (AKA no swimming, fishing, or anything of the sort), this place is a gem to be seen. Located within the Catskill Park, you'll have views of some of your favorite mountains right within your sight.
5. Check out New York's second largest waterfall at the easily accessible Cohoes Falls Overlook Park.
Many of our residents have the desire to go explore our remarkable waterfalls, but often the hike getting to the waterfall is just too rough and tough for us. Well have no fear, Cohoes Falls won't make things difficult for you. This 4-acre park has a footbridge and many look out points that allow you to soak in the beauty of the falls.
6. Explore the beautiful Adirondack Interpretive Center in Newcomb.
Ready to explore over 3 miles of trails through our Adirondack forest? Opening up back in 1990, the center has long served as a great space within the Adirondack Park to learn about the nature and wildlife surrounding you. Enjoy a hike up to Goodnow Mountain or stay close to the ground and keep your eye on the wonderful wildlife around Rich Lake. However you decide to spend your time here, you won't regret your visit!
7. Enjoy the thrilling Adventure Trail at Ausable Chasm in Keeseville.
One of our most beautiful attractions that often goes unnoticed, this sandstone gorge is a great place for anyone to explore. Our suggestion? Grab a group of friends and go explore this unique area all together!
8. Relax on the water while taking a trip on one of the Lake George Steamboat Cruises!
Hop onboard the Minne-Ha-Ha and take a ride on one of America's last steam paddle wheelers! With a total of three beautiful ships to choose from, you won't want to step foot back on land after enjoying one of these cruises!
9. Experience a unique view of Lake Erie at Luensman Overview Park in Brocton.
Located in Chautauqua County, this spot is the perfect place to bring the whole family. A one-mile hike through the woods will bring you to this gorgeous overlook where on a truly clear day you'll even be able to see the Canadian shores of Lake Erie!
10. Watch our amazing wildlife at the Basha Kill Wildlife Management Center in Wurtsboro!
One of the most famous streams you'll find inside our state, you may want to bring a pair of binoculars with you for your visit. With hundreds of species of birds to be seen alongside much more of our wildlife, it's fun to spend the day here trying to see how many different species of animals you can recognize.
11. Venture through one of our many sculpture parks like Stone Quarry Hill Art Park in Cazenovia!
One of our favorite combinations in life is to experience amazing art outside in Mother Nature. While we love a good trip the museum, there's nothing like strolling through green hills and experiencing the fresh air all while taking in unique works of art.
Have you ever spent the day enjoying one of these unforgettable outdoor activities? Tell us which one of these outdoorsy things in New York you would most love to do!