These 10 Songs About New Jersey Will Touch Your Soul Today
With so many great musicians to come out of our state, it is no wonder there are dozens of songs about life, love and loss in New Jersey. These are some of our favorites.
1. Jersey Girl, Tom Waits
This 1980 song about a gritty romance was written by Tom Waits and his wife, a Jersey girl!
2. Wildwood Days, Bobby Rydell
This was a summer anthem in 1963! Fun fact: Rydell High in “Grease” was named after Bobby Rydell.
3. Night Falls On Hoboken, Yo La Tengo
This indie rock song is over 17 minutes long!
4. Jersey Bounce, Ella Fitzgerald
The Virginia native showed Jersey some love with her 1942 hit song.
5. Atlantic City, Bruce Springsteen
If this song doesn’t strike your fancy, Bruce has 24 more that mention our state.
6. Hackensack, Fountains of Wayne
This band made it big with their tongue-in-cheek hit, Stacy’s Mom. The bassist, Adam Schlesinger is from Montclair, New Jersey.
7. I Like Jersey Best, The Phil Bernardi Band
“Lots of dineries, oil refineries, our highways make you cough. But Spring Lake Heights and Belmar are places to get off.”
8. Palisades Park, Freddie Cannon
Who remembers Palisades Amusement Park?
9. I’m From New Jersey, John Gorka
The famous folk singer loves his home state.
10. Who Says You Can’t Go Home, Bon Jovi
Though the song doesn’t explicitly mention our state, we all know New Jersey is home.
Which of these is your favorite Jersey song? What other songs would you add to this list?