New Jersey ranks high in a wide range of areas. We’re a top state for teachers and teen drivers and, overall, our schools rank #3 in the nation. New Jersey is also the third thinnest state in the country and we rank #4 in spending on the arts. As the Garden State, we come in at #3 nationwide in cranberry production, #4 in peach production, and #5 in blueberry production. While this is all nice to know, it’s particularly interesting to see what areas New Jersey ranks number one in. Here’s the good, the bad, and the incredibly random:
1. New Jersey leads the world in number of scientists and engineers per square mile.
We're home to 29.88 scientists and engineers per square mile. Massachusetts comes in 2nd with 23.47.
2. New Jersey has more dentists per 100,000 residents than any other state.
We have 81.2 dentists per 100,000 residents. Alaska comes in at #2 with 78.3.
3. New Jersey ranks #1 in property taxes.
We have the highest in the country, at nearly twice the national average.
4. We also rank #1 in foreclosures.
Living here can get expensive. We do, however, have the 4th highest per capita income.
5. New Jersey ranks #1 in number of Revolutionary War battles fought in a single state.
New Jersey saw over 100 Revolutionary War battles. Many people consider the Battle of Trenton to be the turning point of the Revolution, leading to America's victory.
6. We're the #1 state in the country to raise a family.
Based on a variety of factors including quality of education, safety, access to libraries, access to childcare, and community involvement.
7. We're the #1 most disliked state in the country.
According to an online survey by YouGov. People are just jealous because...
8. New Jersey eighth graders rank #1 in vocabulary and writing based on NAEP standardized test scores.
They also rank top three in math, science and reading. It's not only our eighth graders who are doing well - New Jersey has the 3rd highest high school graduation rate and the top advanced placement test scores in the nation for the year 2015.
9. We're the #1 most densely populated state in the nation.
While this is widely known, I couldn't leave it off the list. New Jersey has approximately 1218.1 residents per square mile, compared to Ohio's (ranked #10 most populated) 284.2. Still, we have plenty of beautiful open spaces.
10. New Jersey ranks #1 in the nation for nakedness.
We’re 142 percent more likely to admit to letting it all hang out at home than the residents of Louisiana, number two on the list. Other states to make the top five include Mississippi, South Carolina and Rhode Island. To learn more about this silly study, click
11. We're the number one state for marriage durability.
New Jersey residents are least likely to get divorced! We tend to marry later in life compared to other states, which may be a contributing factor.
Did any of these statistics surprise you? What else do you think we could be ranked #1 in?