New Jersey’s most controversial food is also its most beloved. Half the state says taylor ham, half the state says pork roll, but we can all agree that it’s delicious. If you want to debate semantics, check out my previous post:
Pork Roll Vs. Taylor Ham. If you want to find the best in the Garden State, read on. I start with where to find the most flavorful classic sandwiches and move on to some more creative taylor ham/pork roll menu items.
1. Slater's Deli - 866 Route 36, Leonardo
Famous for piling on the Pork Roll, be sure to come hungry.
2. Olde Towne Deli - 205 Main Street, Boonton
The perfect balance of griddled taylor ham, fried egg and cheese.
3. Pat's Diner - 1300 South Broad Street, Trenton
Trenton is the original home of pork roll, so it's only fitting that Pat's made the list. They serve up a great PREC, and are open 24 hours.
4. Clark White Diamond - 1207 Raritan Road, Clark
This classic diner serves up some fantastic taylor ham, egg and cheese along with delicious burgers.
5. Lucky Larry's Luncheonette - 273 Valley Boulevard, Wood-Ridge
Go for a grilled taylor ham sandwich along with one of their specialty sodas. Other favorites include the buttermilk pancakes and cinnamon French toast.
6. The Bread Board Plus - 605 North Haddon Avenue, Haddonfield
Best known for their fantastic hoagies, you can also score a great PREC on fresh bread, toast, rolls or bagels.
7. Beckman's Deli - 704 10th Avenue, Belmar
The PREC is crisp, gooey and delicious, plus, this beach area eatery also has a great little patio.
8. Shut Up And Eat - 804 Main Street, Toms River
While people don't generally like being told to shut up and eat, you might not mind it here. There's no time for talking when you're enjoying the eclectic decor, friendly service and innovative menu. Take a chance and try pork roll on a waffle.
9. Burger Express - 215 Roosevelt Avenue, Carteret
The Taylor Ham breakfast sandwich is spectacular, but you can also get a Taylor Ham Burger. Pictured is "The Rambler" - a seasonal offering topped with their famous fries.
10. Sparta Classic Diner - 80 Woodport Road, Sparta
The classic taylor ham, egg and cheese is called the N.J. Sandwich here, and it's a reader favorite. Another hit is the Jersey Shore Burger, pictured, with taylor ham, hot peppers, caramelized onions and provolone, served with a side of disco fries.
11. The Greeks - 461 Elm Street, Kearny
You'll find friendly service and some of the best taylor ham sandwiches around. The classic THEC is amazing, but they'll put taylor ham on anything! If you're feeling adventurous, try one of their more unique dishes.
12. The Committed Pig - 168 Main St., Manasquan + 28 W. Park Pl., Morristown + 339 Springfield Ave., Summit
This isn't so much of a restaurant as a culinary experience. Sure, you can get a great classic PREC here, but be sure to try one of the specialty dishes, as well. There are so many innovative options.
13. Johnny's Pork Roll Truck - 7th and Boardwalk, Asbury Park
Their home base is Asbury Park but this truck travels all over. They serve a spectacular pork roll sandwich and offer unique takes on the original.
14. Flying Fish Brewing Company - 900 Kennedy Blvd., Somerdale
The Exit 7 Pork Roll Porter is absolutely epic - smoky and spicy, it's the perfect Jersey beer. Find it at the brewery and at bars from Newton down to Mount Holly.
15. Van Holten's Chocolates - 802 Ocean Terrace, Seaside Heights + 1893 NJ-88, Brick
Chocolate covered pork roll. Need I say more?
Share your favorite pork roll sandwich spots and taylor ham inspired goodies in the comments. Know of a pork roll milkshake or taylor ham truffle? I’d love to hear about it.