Though it may not feel like it, winter is almost here. Enjoy the warmer weather while you can because the snow is coming. Still, there’s no reason to dread winter in New Jersey. In fact, there’s a lot to love about it.
1. Our state parks look stunning covered in snow.
And they're free in the off-season! Pictured is Jenny Jump State Park in Warren County.
2. Any many offer opportunities for tubing, sledding, and snowshoeing.
Including Allamuchy, Cheesequake, High Point, Hopatcong, Kittatinny Valley, Monmouth Battlefield, Ramapo Mountain, Round Valley, Stokes and Swartswood. Some parks also allow ice fishing, ice boating, ice skating, and cross-country skiing.
3. Our frozen lakes create a stunning effect.
Especially when the sun is shining brightly overhead! Panther Lake is pictured.
4. And visiting the Great Falls during the winter is truly unique.
It's incredible to see the rushing falls frozen over. Bring a warm cup of cocoa and head out to enjoy the experience.
5. Opportunities for skiing and snowboarding abound.
Mountain Creek is pictured. Other options include Hidden Valley, Campgaw Mountain and the following state parks: Abram S. Hewitt, Allaire, Allamuchy, Bass River, Belleplain, Byrne, Cheesequake, Delaware & Raritan Canal, Double Trouble, Farny, Fort Mott, Hacklebarney, High Point, Jenny Jump, Kittatinny Valley, Long Pond Ironworks, Monmouth Battlefield, Norvin Green, Parvin, Penn, Ramapo Mountain, Ringwood, Round Valley, Spruce Run, Stephens, Stokes, Swartswood, Voorhees, Washington Crossing, Wawayanda, Wharton, and Worthington.
6. Holiday cheer and magnificent decorations.
You can find spectacular decorations almost everywhere in the state! A home in Rockaway is pictured.
7. Big bonfires with friends and family!
So what if there's some snow? Grab a blanket, get together a few friends, and roast some marshmallows!
8. Our boutique hotels and bed & breakfasts are offering amazing seasonal deals.
The Woolverton Inn is currently offering a Warm Up/Chill Out spa package complete with a fireside massage for two!
9. It's the perfect excuse to drink more coffee.
And with so many great coffee shops in the state, why not? Coffee Corral in Red Bank is pictured.
10. New Jersey + snow = magical photo opportunities.
Like this incredible shot of the Manasquan Reservoir.
11. Snow days!
These can be either a gift or a curse, but almost no one is going to work in this.
12. All of the fun winter festivals!
Pictured is the Lambertville-New Hope Winter Festival, which provides 9 days of cold-weather fun. Mount Holly offers a fantastic Fire & Ice Festival with ice sculpting, dog sled demonstrations, a chili tasting, fire show, and more.
14. It's finally hockey season.
We can cheer on our very own team, the New Jersey Devils. Of course it's basketball season, as well.
15. You can finally find a parking spot at the beach.
The shore can get pretty crowded during the summer, it may be best to secure your spot now. Pictured is Long Beach Island.
Winter in New Jersey also means no more mosquitoes, incredible icicles and opportunities for ice skating. What are you most looking forward to about winter?