People from this small state end up all over the world, but it’s always easy to spot someone from New Hampshire. From their clothing to their sense of adventure, here are 11 ways to spot a fellow New Hampshire resident, no matter where you are.
1. They talk about The Old Man like a long lost relative.
Kayak The Rockies/Flickr
Hint: They don’t mean their grandpa.
2. If that lake isn’t perfectly clear, they’re not swimming.
Mud holes? Not around here!
3. They’ve got an independent streak.
New Hampshire residents are full of self-reliance. They just do what has to be done.
4. They’re not easily impressed by other states.
When you grow up surrounded by mountains, lakes and the ocean, it’s hard to be blown away.
5. They believe winter begins in early October and lasts until May.
Tracy Lee Carol/Flickr
And they know how to have fun the whole time.
6. They’re not convinced on the idea of paying taxes.
They may look confused when their total at the store includes sales tax.
7. They carry an extra sweatshirt all the time.
Because even in the height of summer, they expect it to get cold quickly.
8. They’re fearless drivers.
Because when you grow up driving on this, a little rain will never get to you.
9. They refuse to call themselves tourists.
They never want to be confused with the masses that descend on their state.
10. They're the first ones in cold water.
Because it’s probably always warmer than the ocean at home.
11. They’ll help you out.
This little state has big heart.