People who aren’t from Nebraska never seem to know very much about our fair state. They know we’ve got a football team, and they know we grow corn…and that’s about it. Here are some other things we think the rest of the country should know.
1. We're not uneducated hicks.
People have this idea that we're all farmers, and that all farmers are dumb. Even if we were all farmers, the new generation of farmers is choosing to go to college for things like agriculture and farm and ranch management. This "uneducated" stereotype needs to be put to rest.
2. Nebraska is full of fascinating places. From the country's smallest incorporated town (Monowi, population 1)...
3. ...To the country's 42nd largest city, Omaha.
Omaha's population is around 427,800. To put that into perspective, the entire population of Nebraska is 1.86 million.
4. There are distinct regions of the state, and they couldn't be more different.
The most pronounced difference is between the extreme east, where the largest cities lie, and the extreme west, which is primarily rural ranchland. Then there is the laid-back central region where you'll find sandhills, river sports, and more ranches. It's far from being one big cornfield here.
5. Our legendary friendliness is for real.
It's so real, in fact, that sometimes it freaks out people from other states. "Why is that stranger smiling at me? Why did that lady hold open the door for me?"
6. ...And so is our helpfulness.
We usually won't wait until you have to ask, either. Whether you're a neighbor or a total stranger, Nebraskans really are sweet, friendly people overall.
7. Our economy is strong and diversified.
We're ranked #2 in cattle production and #3 in overall livestock production. But our economy also benefits from tourism, military, manufacturing, and the four Fortune 500 companies headquartered here.
8. Nebraska is anything but boring.
Our nightlife may be a little different than in more urban states, but there's no shortage of museums, concerts, theater performances, and festivals happening in Nebraska towns and cities.
9. There's no such thing as a Nebraska accent.
What you're hearing is plain old American English. Our lack of accent is one reason there are so many phone-based customer service jobs here.
10. Don't even try to compete with our weather stories.
Until you've gone from 100% humidity to tornado to hail in the same day, don't talk to us about how "crazy" the weather is in your state.
What do you think, Nebraska? Add your input to the list in the comment section.