Now that we’ve had our first dose of winter precipitation in parts of the state, maybe we should remind ourselves of just how beautiful winter can be in Nebraska. These ordinary scenes (shot in previous winters) became extraordinary with the addition of a bit of snow.
1. The Scottsbluff National Monument in November 2014.
The snowy, foggy day just makes the scene seem magical.
2. Is the sun going up or down in this picture?
Either way, it's the perfect backdrop for these snow-dusted trees.
3. A little tree stands strong in the snow in Chadron.
4. These snow-covered trees look so welcoming.
Wouldn't this be the perfect place for a snowball fight?
5. This tree's drooping spines are weighed down by the frost.
They almost look like yarn.
6. A snowy road awaits you in Ord.
Just be careful going around that bend!
7. The first snow of the year at Hamann Rose Garden in Lincoln.
The snow stuck to the grass but not the brick path, making a contrasting spiral on the ground.
8. The road to Chadron is long and straight.
...And covered in a thin blanket of snow.
9. This lonely house near Fremont looks lonelier in the snow.
10. Snow makes this bridge in Chautauqua Park in Beatrice really stand out.
This looks like the perfect place to take a portrait of a couple!
11. Another bridge, this one in Ord.
It turns out that bridges look pretty amazing in the snow.
12. The sun rises over a snowy field and a big, strong tree.
13. Winter in Omaha.
I want to build tons of snowmen in that empty space.
14. A beautifully barren corn field somewhere between Lincoln and Omaha.
It looks lonely but peaceful there.
15. The way these trees reach over the street is so inviting.
16. Snow fell on the Hamann Rose Garden in Lincoln before the roses were ready.
They look beautifully frozen.
17. Lincoln in the winter snow.
A snowy day in Lincoln is so quiet and peaceful.
18. A little bit of color shines through in these frozen red berries.
A common but always pretty sight in Nebraska.
19. Love this elevated look at a frigid pond in the winter snow.
20. St. Johns Cathedral on the Creighton campus looks rather regal in the snow.
21. The sun behind this bare tree creates long, reaching shadows on the snow.
What a sweet winter scene.
22. This cardinal looks fat and prepared for the winter.
He also looks just a little grumpy.
23. A cozy-looking home is so inviting in its snowy surroundings.
We'd like to imagine there are some Christmas carols being sung in there.
24. A stunning rural scene.
This photographer really captured the beauty in an ordinary sight.
25. This tree north of Oshkosh looks almost like a lonely hitchhiker.
Do you have any special photos of Nebraska blanketed in snow? Please share them with us on the Only In Nebraska Facebook page!