It seems that a lot of people still have some weird ideas about Nebraska. And maybe that’s partially our fault because we’re pretty humble; we don’t like to brag and make everyone else jealous. But you know what? We’re just bursting at the seams. We have to let everyone know that Nebraska is THE place to be.
1. First and foremost, Nebraska is NOT flat.
We've got bluffs and buttes in the west, rolling sandhills in the middle, and hills in the east. NOT flat.
2. We love the nightlife.
Depending on where we are, that could mean a night out at the local bar with friends, catching a concert, partying at a club, or even going to an evening dance on Main Street. We always find something fun to do.
3. Nebraska is just bursting with culture.
There are plenty of nationalities represented here, and we have festivals to celebrate them all!
4. We have world-class fine dining.
It's not all steaks, either.
5. Our wine game is on point.
Nebraska wineries have really made a name for themselves in the past decade or so. Growing conditions are perfect here for several types of grapes, and visiting a vineyard or winery is an experience in itself.
6. Our music scene puts other states to shame.
We attract national acts, but more importantly, plenty of Nebraskans have gone on to have great success in the industry.
7. Art is everywhere.
From murals on the sides of buildings to statues and sculptures in surprising places, Nebraskans have a real love for art that we just can't help but show.
8. Nebraska has some of the prettiest small towns and main streets you'll ever see.
And when you visit them, you'll never be a stranger for long.
9. If history is your thing, Nebraska's got you covered.
It seems like there's a museum just about everywhere you go, and places like Harold Warp Pioneer Village and Dobby's Frontier town let you actually see what it was like to live in days gone by.
10. Our outdoor recreation is endless.
Hiking, biking, fishing, hunting, boating, swimming, cross-country skiing, birdwatching...we could go on and on. It's all here.
11. Nebraska state parks are chock full of beauty.
Not to mention recreational and educational opportunities.
12. There's so much more to Nebraska than you'll find in the guide books.
The state is full of little hidden gems, from wonderful little shops and restaurants to hidden lakes and serene fishing spots. But we can't tell you where they are - half the fun is stumbling across them yourself.
13. We even have a national forest.
And it just so happens to be the largest hand-planted forest in the western hemisphere. Not to brag or anything, but that's a pretty big deal.
14. This really is a home where the buffalo roam.
Wildlife enthusiasts, get your cameras ready. You'll see some unforgettable sights here.
15. Ancient animals still play a big role here, too.
Archie, the largest Columbian mammoth fossil
in the world, calls Nebraska home. Specifically, Elephant Hall on the UNL campus. And that's not all - we have several amazing fossil sites to visit, including Ashfall Fossil Beds, the Hudson Meng Bison Kill, and Agate Hills Fossil Beds National Monument.
16. Nebraska truly, honestly has some of the most beautiful scenic drives in the country.
You just have to get off of the interstate and get a little lost on the back roads to experience them.
17. Our towns thrive on small, family-owned businesses.
We have a nice mix of national retailers and small businesses, but in the smallest of towns, it's family-owned all the way.
18. Your dollar goes way further here than in other parts of the country.
Our cost of living is consistently well below the U.S. average, while our average household income is still close to the national average. That means we live well for less money.
19. There are so many colleges here that our young people are spoiled for choice.
College students can choose exactly the type of college experience they want to have: a big-city university, a small-town community college, or anything in between.
20. When it comes to sports, we're all one big happy family.
If there is one specific united front in Nebraska, it's our college sports. Go Big Red!
21. Runza. Runza, Runza, Runza.
This right here is a picture of the perfect lunch: a classic cheese Runza and frings.
22. Friend or stranger, we'll always have a smile for you.
"Nebraska Nice" isn't just our state slogan. It's a way of life.
Whew, it feel so good to let those out. Nebraska has been a well-kept secret for far too long. Our cities are growing by leaps and bounds, and our rural towns still have that characteristic friendliness that’s hard to find these days. No matter where you go, Nebraska always feels like home.