Nebraska provides The Good Life, as we all know. But unfortunately, once you’ve lived here for a while, you’ll be completely ruined. Ruined for other states, that is. A Nebraskan can move away, but some things will never feel right no matter where they end up. That’s because we’ve all been spoiled by living here, and these are the things that will never feel the same anywhere else.
1. You'll never match the feeling of small-town coziness.
You can live in a small town in any state, but you'll never find the same combination of great people, small businesses, and neighborly attitudes.
2. You'll never feel so safe and secure.
In most Nebraska small towns, we leave our doors unlocked and the keys in the car. And because we know all of our neighbors, we feel totally comfortable doing it.
3. There are no people like Nebraska people.
Look as long as you want; you'll never find a group of kinder, more generous, more down-to-earth people.
4. Good luck finding storms as awesome as Nebraska storms.
Sorry South Dakota, Missouri, Iowa, and all of the other states that claim to have the best storms. That honor belongs to us.
5. You might expect to see sunsets like this when you move away.
We hate to break it to you, but those are a Nebraska specialty. They just aren't as good anywhere else.
6. The scenery here is just too beautiful.
Sorry if you expect any other place to look like this. It won't.
7. We said it before, but it bears repeating: you will seriously not find these views anywhere else.
Those other agricultural states? Pssh. Their countryside is nothing compared to this.
8. The air won't smell quite the same anywhere else, ever.
The musky, earthy aroma of the freshly-harvested fields...the sweet smell of cut alfalfa...the electric tang of an approaching storm...and yes, even the smell of cows...these alone could be enough to convince you to move back here. Don't say we didn't warn you.
9. Nebraska holds all kinds of surprises.
Surprises like our incredibly diverse landscapes and bounty of nature-oriented activities. If you haven't heard about these state treasures, it's only because we're not the type to brag.
10. Food tastes better here.
It could be because it comes from the hard work of our friends and neighbors. Or maybe it's all that fresh Nebraska air. Either way, you just might be disappointed if you expect to eat like a Nebraskan anywhere else.
11. The pioneer spirit - and the tendency to DIY - is ingrained in every Nebraskan.
People may not understand this part of your personality when you move away. They say "it's broken, buy a new one." You say "I can fix it!" This can-do attitude will seem foreign in other states.
12. Nebraska is in the middle of everything.
Driving times to other places are manageable because we're right in the middle of it all. Not many other states can say that.
Living in Nebraska has spoiled us – no other place will ever truly feel like home thanks to our state’s many positive attributes. Are you a Nebraskan living elsewhere? How did Nebraska ruin you for living anywhere else?