Nebraska March 28, 2016
20 Reasons To Drop Everything And Move To This One Nebraska City
Nebraska is made up of a few mid-size cities and hundreds of small towns and tiny villages. The state as a whole has been ranked among the best places to live in the country many times. But only one city has been named by Money Magazine as the number two place to live
in the entire United States. That city is Papillion, an Omaha suburb of less than 22,000. If you’re looking for a new place to settle down in Nebraska, this plucky town is just perfect.
1. Money Magazine named Papillion the
#2 best place to live in the country in 2015.
2. Papillion is where you'll find Werner Park, the home of Omaha's minor league baseball team, The Storm Chasers.
3. SumTur Amphitheater is there, too - it's the perfect place for concerts.
4. The city's economy is strong and attracts all kinds of businesses, both large and small.
5. Papillion is small, but it's a short 15-minute drive to Omaha so all of the big-city amenities are nearby.
6. Its proximity to both Omaha and Offutt Air Force Base make it the perfect bedroom community for people who work in either place. Commutes are short and sweet.
7. The average education and income levels here are higher than the state's average.
8. The poverty level is a tiny 5.6% - far below the national average of 15.2% and the state average of 12.4%.
9. Unemployment levels in Papillion are consistently low.
10. The crime rate is very low and police response time is quick, letting residents feel safe in their town.
Papillion was rated the number one place in America to raise a family by BusinessWeek in 2013.
11. The public schools are highly rated and provide an excellent education for the next generation of Nebraskans.
No school in the district has a GreatSchools.org rating of lower than 6; many schools are rated at 8 or 9 (out of 10).
12. Sump Memorial Library provides information, entertainment, and a great community resource.
More than 16,000 people visit the library each month, and in 2013 the library's 850 or so youth programs were attended by 26,350 people.
13. The sense of community is so strong here you would almost swear you were in a much smaller town.
14. The wildly popular (and extremely fun) Papillion Days festival draws a crowd more than double the size of the city's population!
15. Rents and home prices are consistent with the state average.
In 2013, BusinessWeek named Papillion as the number two most affordable suburb in the country.
16. Fun attractions like Papio Fun Park and Papio Bay Aquatic Center keep the whole family entertained.
17. The summer farmers market is not just a place to buy fresh produce and local crafts; it's a gathering place for friends and neighbors.
18. Staying fit in Papillion is easy - the city has 17 miles of walking/biking trails to enjoy.
The fantastic 450-acre Walnut Creek Recreation Area also features fishing, camping, equestrian trails, and a leash-free dog park.
19. Nearly a quarter of Papillion's land is set aside as parks and green spaces - this small city has 13 public parks.
20. Papillion is constantly working on improving in every way to be the best possible home for the people who live in and love the city.
In 2013, Livability.com rated Papillion the number one small town in America, and they certainly earned the distinction.
BONUS: Papillion gained some national attention recently when President Obama stopped by for a casual chat with a resident who had written him a letter.
Just like every town, Papillion has its positive points and its less positive points. No place is a one-size-fits-all perfect home for everyone. But it’s a beautiful place to live, work, and raise a family, and we think that’s pretty special.