Some people mourn the end of summer every year, but fall is my absolute favorite time of year. I can’t wait for the cooler temperatures, the changing leaves, and the all-around refreshing (but way too brief) break from extreme temperatures. It’s obvious that fall is on the way here in Nebraska, and here’s how you can tell.
1. Everything In the Grocery Store is Now Pumpkin Spice Flavored.
I like stuff that tastes like pumpkin as much as the next person, but it seems like the pumpkin-flavored stuff gets weirder every year. Pumpkin Spice English muffins? Weird.
2. Seasonal Beers are Making an Appearance.
There's nothing not to love about the seasonal drinks that local breweries start making this time of year, like Nebraska Brewing Company's Wick for Brains Pumpkin Ale.
3. Halloween Stuff is Edging Out the Summer Clearance Stuff on the Shelves.
This sight always makes me happy. Partly because I might find something really cheap for next summer, but mostly because it means fall is on the way!
4. Candy Corn. Endless Candy Corn.
Whole aisles of candy corn! Different flavors of candy corn! Candy corn as far as the eye can see! It's almost as abundant as real corn!
5. Leaves are Just Barely Starting to Look a Little Different.
We're still a way off from seeing the spectacular yellows, oranges and reds of full-blown autumn, but every day there are more leaves on the ground and the street.
6. Pumpkin Patches are Opening Up for the Season.
I keep seeing announcements for the harvest season openings. How exciting!
7. Apple Orchards Are Gearing Up for Their Busy Season, Too.
The pick-your-own orchards have already started harvesting some early varieties, but prime apple picking season - with LOTS more varieties - is just around the corner.
8. We've Been Able to Live Without Air Conditioning For Several Days.
Maybe they haven't all been in a row, but there have been some really nice days lately - and we're looking forward to lots more!
9. Sleeves Are Starting to Make a Comeback.
There have even been a few mornings when it's been cool enough to throw on a sweatshirt on the way to work.
10. The Whole State Has Gotten a Lot More Red Lately.
The Huskers are playing, and life is good again for the fans who wait all year for this time. (This photo is from the 2009 Gator Bowl, but trust me - Husker Fever is strong every year.)
11. Hunters are Getting Ready for Their Favorite Sport.
They're digging out their best camo and orange outfits, cleaning their guns, and calling up their best hunting buddies to set up an autumn adventure.
12. Harvest Season is Gearing up.
When you see that machinery start to make an appearance in the fields, you know we're in for some cooler weather and that unmistakable earthy scent in the air.
What are some other telltale signs that fall is about to descend on the Cornhusker State? Let us know in the comments!