Nebraska March 11, 2016
14 Perfect Places To Go In Nebraska If You’re Feeling Adventurous
As the weather is starting to warm up and we’re getting our first glimpses of spring, our minds are turning toward getting out of the house. If you’re feeling the effects of winter cabin fever and want to liven things up with some adventure, we have some suggestions for you (in no particular order).
1. Experience life on a working ranch at Rowse's 1+1 Ranch in Burwell.
Ever wonder what it's like to be a cowboy or cowgirl? Rowse's will treat you just like a ranch hand while you relax in the idyllic setting.
Rowse's 1 + 1 Ranch
2. Or find out what it's like to live like a pioneer at the High Plains Homestead in Crawford.
The accommodations here are actually slightly nicer than you would have found in pioneer-era Nebraska, but the experience is one of a kind, and the food at Drifter's Cookshack is not to be missed.
High Plains Homestead
3. Speed along on top of the Platte in an airboat.
Forget power boating in a bigger river - airboating the Platte looks crazy fun and Bryson's Airboat Tours does all the driving for you.
Bryson's Airboat Tours
4. Climb the huge rock wall at UNL's Outdoor Adventure Center in Lincoln.
Not just for students, the Outdoor Adventure Center actually has a lot of activities that will help you escape boredom in novel ways.
5. Canoe or kayak the Dismal River.
The Dismal River is not for beginners, which makes it even more fun for the adventurer. Glidden Canoe rental can get you set up with equipment if you don't have your own.
Glidden Canoe Rental
6. Or if that's a bit much, take it easy by tubing or tanking down the Niobrara.
Leisurely float on down the Niobrara river in an innertube or stock tank. To some people, this is kind of a rite of passage in Nebraska.
Little Outlaw Canoe
can get you set up.
7. Be a scientist for a day at Ashfall Fossil Beds near Royal.
The excavation is always ongoing at Ashfall Fossil Beds, but you can come in and peek at the prehistoric wonders. Watch as the fossils are carefully unearthed and left in place for visitors to marvel at for years to come.
Ashfall Fossil Beds
8. Wander the enchanted woods at Fontenelle Forest in Bellevue.
Fontenelle Forest is a 1400 acre forest in the middle of a city. Wander on down to the river on the trails, or stick to the boardwalk for an easy stroll.
9. Hunt down exotic treasures at the Grain Bin Antique Town in North Platte.
Is there anything more adventurous than hunting through multiple buildings looking for just the right antique? Grain Bin Antique Town is full of surprises - you never know what you'll find.
Grain Bin Antique Town
10. Go wild at Aquaventure in Norfolk.
This huge waterpark has everything you need to have a fun family adventure in a controlled environment.
11. Step back in time with a horse-drawn stagecoach ride through Fort Robinson State Park.
All of Fort Robinson is fantastic and you should definitely visit it all...but who could pass up riding through the grounds on a real stagecoach?
Fort Robinson State Park
12. Go boating, fishing, camping, parasailing, jet skiing, paddleboarding, swimming...pretty much any fun outdoor activity at Lake McConaughy in Keith County.
There's almost TOO much to do at Lake McConaughy. There's a reason it's one of the most popular attractions in Nebraska.
13. Escape the room before time runs out at Entrap Games in Omaha.
Ok, being locked in a room and forced to solve puzzles to get out isn't everyone's cup of tea. But if you enjoy solving puzzles, Entrap Games is a seriously unforgettable experience.
14. Navigate your way to fun and adventure with geocaching - anywhere.
We can't give you a specific location to go geocaching - because it's actually everywhere. Nebraska has some fun sites to discover, so grab your GPS and start hunting down those caches.
Find some helpful geocaching info here.
There’s so much adventure to be had here in the Cornhusker State that we’re just scratching the surface here. What’s your favorite way to get out and find adventure in Nebraska?