It feels like a year can pass by in an instant, and yet it feels like we wait an eternity for this season to arrive—especially in Montana. When the snow starts to melt in the mountains and the days get warmer, we start to make some seriously fun plans. If you have a “Montana summer bucket list” this year, make sure some of these things are on it.
1. Spend a day at a beach.
Yes, Montana has beaches, and our lakeside lounging is just as fun as time spent by the ocean. This is Whitefish City Beach.
2. Go to a state park you’ve never been to before.
Montana has 54 of them, and they're all worth visiting. This is Fort Owen State Park near Stevensville.
3. Try to eat mostly local, seasonal foods.
Supporting local farmers feels (and tastes) good.
4. Go on a picnic.
Actually, go on as many as you can.
5. Go somewhere really quirky.
Celebrate our state's eccentric spots.
6. Visit at least one tourist attraction.
Why should tourists be the only ones to enjoy them?
7. Try a restaurant with a patio or rooftop dining.
'Tis the season for outdoor meals and drinks. This is Casey's in Whitefish, which has an incredible rooftop.
8. Go on a train ride.
This is a fun way to see some of Montana's most beautiful landscapes.
9. Get on a boat.
If you're lucky enough to own a boat or have friends who do, utilize it. Otherwise, take advantage of one of our state's numerous options for boat tours and rides.
10. Get to know your local ice cream shop.
Summer is short. You may as well get to know your local scoopers.
11. Step outside of your comfort zone.
Do something that scares you, just a little bit.
12. Go on one unforgettable road trip.
This can be a quick overnight journey, or you can take some time and explore the whole state. But summer is the perfect road trip season.
13. Leave the state temporarily so you can make some beautiful memories… but then return so you can fully appreciate your home in the Treasure State.
There's no place like home.