1. Move to Montana and immediately try to change things.
Feel that tension between the California transplants at the born-and-raised Montanans? That’s because some (not all, but some) people move to Montana and try to make it more like California. California is a beautiful state, but we prefer ours just the way it is.
2. Ask us what we do for fun.
You’ve got to be joking. We’ve got impressive hiking trails, spectacular parks, amazing campsites, lakes for boating, rivers for fishing, rodeos, fairs, festivals, and a pretty wonderful dining scene, for starters.
3. Ask us what we do all winter.
Seriously? Winter is half the reason we live here.
4. Tell us how much better it is where you came from.
You’re just begging us to invite you to return.
5. Start trouble with someone in our family….
… or a friend, or a business owner we love… you get the drift.
6. Disrespect our land.
We take great pride in our beautiful parks, mountains, forests, and recreational areas. Please do the same.
7. Disrespect the American flag.
Don’t even go there.
8. Find our secret spots (for camping, swimming, hunting or relaxing) and take them over.
We realize this happens everywhere, but we don’t have to like it.
9. Call it “West Dakota.”
It’s Eastern Montana, and it’s beautiful. Have you ever seen Makoshika State Park?
10. Ask us if everyone has a horse.
We get it. People think we’re a little behind the times. But just because Montana is The Last Best Place doesn’t mean we’re the last place to join modern civilization.
11. Drive slowly in the left lane on the freeway.
Please refrain from doing this in any state, ever.
Don’t worry, it’s still safe to make some jokes around a Montanan. Here are some
jokes about Montana that are actually funny.