1. You get to see the most beautiful parts of the state.
Rolling hills, grassy fields, skylines not littered with tall buildings. Just gorgeous.
2. You grow up with a sense of community.
There’s not much mystery in a small town. But there’s something comforting about knowing everyone. It’s like being raised by a big extended family.
3. You learn some serious skills.
Depending on which part of Montana you grow up in, small town living can mean learning hunting, fishing, learning about the habits of wildlife, helping with farming and learning how to stay warm in ridiculously cold temperatures. At the very least, you’ll be doing chores and mowing the lawn from a young age and you’ll learn to be self-sufficient.
4. Friendships last forever.
Being raised in a small town might mean there are fewer children to make friends with, but you can also form tight bonds with people that last a lifetime.
5. If you need help, all you have to do is ask.
People take care of each other in small town Montana.
6. “Shopping local” is all you’ll know.
You’ll support small local businesses because that’s the only option besides driving an hour or two to the nearest chain store (and because they're the best).
7. Traffic is never an issue.
Learning to drive is a breeze when you don’t have to worry about traffic. What’s rush hour?
8. You’ll find creative ways to entertain yourself.
When you’re a young child, you’ll have plenty of wide, open spaces to play games with your friends. When you’re a little older, you’ll have bonfires and school dances and snow sports, just to name a few.
9. The stargazing is like no other.
No matter where you live when you’re an adult, you’ll miss the Big Sky Country night sky.
10. You’ll learn the value of hard work, good manners and social skills.
You’ll be raised to always try your best and give 100% because being lazy in a small town is not really an option. And when you’re used to greeting friends and stranger alike at school, at work, at the grocery store and on the street, you’ll end up a polite, sociable adult.