Missourians are friendly, helpful people. But don’t associate that with weakness. Here are some ways that they prove they are really tough.
1. They can get through a flood.
"Some signs are unnecessary." -Matt Ridings
The end of 2015 brought a ridiculous amount of rain. With it, lots of flooding. We are still recovering.
2. Or a deep freeze.
And this could happen the day after record warm temperatures.
3. Families are valued, and stand strong together.
Strong values pass through generations.
4. We live near or in a seismic zone and have survived a lot of earthquakes.
The New Madrid fault system caused four of the largest North American earthquakes in recorded history, all within a three-month period between December 1811 and February 1812. Frequent smaller earthquakes have occurred since then and the risk of larger earthquakes in the future is very real.
5. We fight for what we believe in.
No matter what your belief system, Missourians are willing to stand up and be heard.
6. With all the hiking and biking, our legs are made of steel.
The Katy Trail covers much of the state and is one of the best biking trails around.
7. A lot of Missourians have to deal with traffic like this.
Especially in St. Louis and Kansas City.
8. We are not strangers to hard work, and appreciate farmers and growers.
We may even have first hand knowledge and experience in bringing food from "farm to table."
9. We constantly have to look out for potholes...
All the crazy weather and all the traffic create massive potholes. They can be a bit of a pain, but are also dangerous and hard on your car.
10. ...and deer.
Deer are plentiful and for some reason they can't stay off the roads. We really have to watch for them, especially at night.
11. Allergies. All year round.
Pollen. Dust. Ragweed. Mold. You name it, you'll probably find it here. AAACHOOO!
Folks in Joplin won't soon forget the big one in 2011. When they come, we hang tight and pick up the pieces after as a community.
What are some other things that make Missourians tough? Do you agree with these observations?