Overall, we Mississippians tend to be pretty normal; however, there are some things we do that, to outsiders, may seem a bit, well, strange. Here are 12 perfect examples.
1. We tend to move at a slower pace here in the Magnolia State.
Just like molasses in January, we Mississippians aren’t prone to moving fast. Why? Because we like to slow down and enjoy the little things life has to offer.
2. We make small talk, no matter where we are.
Whether we’re waiting in line or see someone we know while driving down the street, small talk is bound to happen.
3. We eat seafood for breakfast…
Shrimp and grits has to be one of the best combinations, ever.
4. …and gravy.
A hearty serving of biscuits and gravy is the perfect way to start the day.
5. …and sometimes, it’s chocolate.
Chocolate gravy sounds like a crazy concoction to some, but us Mississippians know better.
6. We see a hurricane as the perfect opportunity for a party.
There’s no use in worrying ourselves into a frenzy at the first sign of a storm. Instead, we see a possible storm as the perfect opportunity for a party because, well, why not?
7. We don’t throw away mason jars; we drink from them.
Call us resourceful, but why throw away a perfectly good jar?
8. We enjoy crawfish so much, we’ll dedicate an entire day to them.
There’s nothing like spending the day with family and friends at a crawfish boil. From the crawfish themselves to all the fixings, it’s definitely one of the state’s best traditions.
9. We put mayonnaise on…everything.
Who said mayo is just for sandwiches? Definitely not a Mississippian! From butter beans to bananas, mayo is the perfect complement to just about anything.
10. We like our peanuts boiled and spicy.
From roadside vendors to gas stations, the deliciously spicy snack can be found just about anywhere in Mississippi.
11. We have our own way of driving.
When it comes to navigating Mississippi’s country roads, we tend to drive in the center of the road and, often, at a faster rate than the posted speed limit. Why? Well, when you’re the only one on the road, why not?
12. We devote a lot of freezer space to deer meat.
In Mississippi, we have a fifth season known as "hunting season," so it should come as no surprise that many Mississippians have a freezer stocked with deer meat.