Because food isn’t just a means of survival, we love anything that celebrates its impact on our life and culture. And lucky for us in Michigan, our foodie scene is rich and delicious.
Festival season is approaching and with that, countless opportunities to dig in to something special. Here are 13 festivals for all the food lovers out there.
1. Vermontville Maple Syrup Festival, April 22-24
Nothing is tastier than local maple syrup, freshly tapped out of the tree. And that's what this fest is all about. Featuring local syrups, candies, creme, even maple syrup cotton candy. Plus, rides, arts and crafts, a talent show, a flea market and more.
2. National Morel Mushroom Festival, Boyne City, May 11-15, 2016
Foraging for the most spectacular of fungus is the name of the game at this festival. Plus, learn new recipes utilizing the rare morel mushroom, try new cuisine, and even a song in honor of the tasty 'shroom.
3. Zingerman's Annual Camp Bacon, Ann Arbor, June 1-5, 2016
Who doesn't love bacon? This ode to pork attracts folks from all over the world to learn about all things bacon (cooking, new techniques, EATING). Plus, all proceeds raised go to charity.
4. Taste of Ann Arbor, June 5, 2016
Ann Arbor's food scene can't be beat, which makes this annual event a tasty way to sample some of the best that A2 has to offer.
5. Frankenmuth Bavarian Festival, June 9-12, 2016
All things German is the vibe at this annual celebration. Think brats, beers and more to go with the variety of Bavarian music, dancing, rides, and games.
6. Battle Creek Cereal Festival, June 10-11, 2016
Dig into your favorite bowl of the breakfast staple at the world's longest breakfast table, plus enjoy arts and crafts, and a parade.
7. National Asparagus Festival, Oceana County, June 10-12, 2016
Set in Oceana County, "The Asparagus Capital of the Nation," this fest includes a parade, asparagus food show, pageant, and more.
8. PastyFest, Calumet, last weekend in June
Salute the Cornish pasty, a UP tradition. Event features a pasty bake-off, children's games, and a Pasty Walk, cuz all that starchy beef will get to you.
9. National Cherry Festival, Traverse City, July 2-9, 2016
A tradition since 1926, this fest attracts a half a million visitors in eight days. All to celebrate the beloved Michigan cherry.
10. National Baby Food Festival, Fremont, July 20-23, 2016
The birthplace of modern prepared baby food is in Fremont, Mich., so it should come as no surprise that there would be a celebration in honor of Gerber baby food. Featuring a baby food eating contest, baby crawl, bed street races, and more, it'll bring out the inner baby in you.
11. Michigan Brewers Guild Summer Beer Festival, Ypsilanti, July 22-23, 2016
Fans of Michgan craft brews hit the beer jackpot at this annual fest. Plus, food, guest speakers, and live music.
12. National Blueberry Festival, South Haven, Aug. 11-14
A nice stack of blueberry pancakes is good anytime really, but it's so much more fun when accompanied by fried chicken, a fish boil, pie eating contests, and live entertainment.
13. Cheeseburger in Caseville, Aug. 12-21, 2016
Jimmy Buffett fans rejoice! You'll find a cheeseburger paradise at this island-themed annual fest. Featuring a best cheeseburger contest, cardboard boat races, music, fruit and veggie animal creations, and more.
Mmmmm… Summer. Can’t wait to dig right into all these festivities. We know there are tons more festivals all over the state. Tell us, which ones are your favorites?