No matter where life takes you, there’s always a part of your heart that stays back home. I’ve lived in Massachusetts for practically my whole life, and there’s no other place that has such a hold on my spirit, memories and love. Here are some of the millions of reasons that Massachusetts will always be my true love.
1. The smell of the sea. For me, the sharp tang and salty bite of a cool sea breeze smells like home.
2. The taste of fresh seafood and plenty of it. It isn't until you live in a landlocked place that you appreciate how nice it is to have fresh fish and shellfish that is both cheap and delicious.
Pictured: Cape Cod OysterFest
3. The fall foliage.
Gold, copper, and ruby leaves blanket Massachusetts in stunning autumn beauty that is absolutely heart-stirring.
4. And apple-picking. Apple-picking out in western Mass. is the absolute best fall activity.
Pictured: Bartlett's Orchard, Richmond
5. Hot, hot, hot summers.
Filled with Hoodsie cups, trips to the beach with friends, and just lying out on the front lawn. Pictured: Herring Beach, Provincetown.
6. Those late summer mornings when the world seems perfectly at peace.
Pictured: Williamsburg General Store
7. Snowy, magical winters.
It may be cold, but waking up to softly falling snow and breathing in the fresh, clean winter air are experiences that can't be found in many other places. Pictured: Langwater Farm, Easton.
8. The natural variety we enjoy.
We have gorgeous coastal regions, but we also have the rolling hills and mountainous vistas of Western and Central Massachusetts. There's a little bit of every kind of beauty here. Pictured: Deerfield.
9. Cruising down a country road in the Berkshires is unlike any other drive in the world.
10. And stopping at a farm stand selling fresh produce and local honey is the absolute best.
11. We have the most beautiful state parks.
12. Our incredible arts and performances. Massachusetts people perform and create from the heart.
13. The rich native heritage of Massachusetts. Native peoples are as much a part of the history of this great state as the founding fathers.
14. Our proud history.
People here are wicked proud of the part Massachusetts has played in shaping the path of this country. From our early colonial days to the present, Massachusetts has always been a leader.
15. People here tell it like it is. People in Massachusetts are honest and upfront. While they don't take themselves too seriously, they're quick to tell you how they feel and appreciate honesty.
16. The pleasure of walking around your hometown and running into people you've known for ages.
17. Massachusetts is where you make friends to last a lifetime. Loyalty runs deep here.
Pictured: Salem Carnival
18. When you come back to Massachusetts after a time away, you realize how much Massachusetts people just "get" you.
19. And that no matter how far you roam, nowhere else will ever compare.