Massachusetts March 25, 2016
12 Disgusting Facts About Massachusetts You Would Be Better Off Not Knowing
Without a doubt, Massachusetts is an amazing place to live in so many different ways. However, every paradise has its dark side. We’ve uncovered some of the most shocking and depressing facts about Massachusetts, and they will definitely make your eyes widen.
1. According to the Insurance Research Council, Massachusetts drivers really are the worst. Massachusetts leads the nation in motor vehicle insurance claims.
2. Massachusetts has the second highest suicide rate in the nation, according to the National Center for Health Statistics. New York is the only state with a higher rate.
3. Massachusetts was the first state in the nation to ban “happy hour.”
4. Massachusetts has one of the highest concentrations of poor working women in the nation, according to a study by the Working Poor Families Project. The report finds that nearly half of the state’s low-income households are headed by single mothers struggling in low wage jobs.
5. A shocking 85 percent of crimes on Cape Cod are opiate-drug related. In fact, HBO recently released a documentary entitled "Heroin: Cape Cod, U.S.A."
6. Massachusetts has TWO of the Top Ten Worst Zoos for Elephants in North America, according to an international animal protection organization. Buttonwood Zoo ranked 5th worst, and Southwick Zoo came in 10th place.
7. According to the most recent data, almost 25 percent of adults in Massachusetts are obese.
8. The city of Boston ranks 8th in the nation when it comes to Googling depression-related terms, according to Google Trends.
9. Of the top 50 most violent cities and towns in Massachusetts, nine belonged to Worcester County. This is according to the latest FBI crime statistics.
10. Forbes ranked recently Massachusetts as the 5th worst state in the nation for retirement.
11. Massachusetts has three of the worst highway bottlenecks in the country, according to the The American Highway Users Alliance.
12. Massachusetts ranks among the lowest states in the nation when it comes to giving its citizens access to state documents and public records. This ranking comes from the Center for Public Integrity, a nonprofit, nonpartisan investigative news organization.
It’s not all bad. But, I mean…it’s partly bad. We still love you anyway, Massachusetts. Dare I ask: what do you think is the most disgusting fact about Massachusetts?