The Old Line State is unique for many reasons, from the diverse landscape to the vast differences between regions. But most Marylanders have at least a few things in common that other states will never understand. Here are 10 very Maryland things that only Marylanders do.
1. We put Old Bay on EVERYTHING.
To Marylanders, Old Bay is literally the spice of life.
2. We yell "O!!!" during the National Anthem.
The National Anthem was born here so if we want to shout "O" in honor of the Orioles, there's no stopping us.
3. We wear our flag.
...And we look good doin' it.
4. In fact, we're more likely to wave the Maryland flag than the American one.
We love you, America, but when there's only one flag pole... priorities, ya know?
5. We sit for HOURS eating steamed blue crabs.
The cramps and firey lips are worth it, for crab season only comes once a year.
6. We're crab cake snobs.
If you value your life, you'll only serve us crab cakes made with real blue crab meat and barely any filler.
7. We're pretty picky about cookies, too.
Give me Bergers or give me death!
8. Baltimore is like a beloved sibling - we're allowed to make fun of it, but you aren't.
We're aware of Baltimore's reputation but we love it anyways.
9. We have intense sports rivalries within our own state.
Marylanders are an odd hodgepodge of Ravens fans, Redskins fans, and even a few Steelers fans. Things can get heated, to say the least.
10. We've gotten into arguments over whether Maryland is north or south.
It's a subject that some are quite passionate about.