You may think you’ve seen it all in Louisiana, but the truth is, this state is filled with so many awesome things, it’s impossible not to see it all. If you’re looking for hidden gems that you have to see in Louisiana, here’s a list of places you probably haven’t explored yet:
1. Conrad Rice Museum, 307 Ann St., New Iberia, LA
Get a peek into the way Louisiana rice has been processed and sold by touring this rice mill. It’s the oldest rice mill still in operation in the United States today. It's truly fascinating, plus the Wild Pecan Rice they make here is delicious.
2. Smith H J & Sons General Store and Museum, 308 N Columbia St., Covington, LA
Another amazingly preserved general store filled with things that you simply can’t find anywhere else—and many items that you have probably never seen before. You’ll get lost exploring here.
3. Masur Museum of Art, 1400 S. Grand Street, Monroe, LA
This unique and free museum off the beaten path in Monroe offers visitors the chance to check out local art as well as a variety of pieces with a more modern feel. Plus the architecture of this place is awesome.
4. Laurel Valley Village, 595 Highway 308, Thibodaux, LA
You’ll love exploring the historic architecture and numerous historic artifacts that are held here—as well as visiting the farm animals that call this place home. It’s one of the most unique sites in the area.
5. Louisiana Political Museum, 499 E. Main St., Winnfield
This place is another awesome small town museum in Louisiana that offers visitors a huge variety of information and artifacts about political life in Louisiana over the decades. Truly amazing!
6. Chennault Aviation and Military Museum, 701 Kansas Ln., Monroe, LA
7. Louisiana Military Museum, 201 Memorial Drive, Ruston, LA
As you come upon this museum from the outside, you may not expect how full and beautiful the inside of this place is---exhibit after exhibit of Louisiana military artifacts lovingly displayed in a clear and interesting fashion. You’ll love it!
8. Prairie Acadian Cultural Center, 205 Park Ave., Eunice, LA
This cultural center in the heart of Eunice gives people the chance to understand the fascinating story of the Acadian people and their numerous crafts and cultural contributions.
9. Purple Penguin Art Company, 702 W. 3rd Street, Thibodaux, LA
This sweet small town shop offers visitors the chance to buy art or make their own—truly something for the whole family if you stop by here, and a community feel you can’t find anywhere else.
10. Kent Plantation House, 3601 Bayou Rapides Rd., Alexandria, LA
This historic landmark includes a 2-hour tour that will take you back in time and give you a really strong idea of what life was like in Louisiana during the Antebellum south. The docents here are truly top notch.
11. St. Landry Catholic Church, 1020 N. Main St., Opelousas, LA
You’ll fall in love with the beauty and architecture of this truly unique church hidden away in the town of Opelousas.
12. Kaffie-Frederick General Mercantile Store, 758 Front St., Natchitoches, LA
This is the kind of store that you could get lost in for days. It’s truly amazing and every time I stop in I find new things.
Can you believe some of these places? Aren’t they amazing? If you’re looking for more hidden gems in Louisiana,
check out our article here!