Are you a snob when it comes to BBQ? Do you have your side-eye perfected for anytime someone makes a certain pop culture reference? Does pronouncing German names and words come as a second nature? If you answered yes to these or to any of the following, you have probably spent way too much time in Kansas:
1. You feel no shame in cheering for Missouri teams.
The KANSAS City Chiefs & Royals may play on the MO side, but they are KANSAS's team!
2. You know KU's basketball...
3. ...and K-State's football schedules by heart.
Checking the calendar for game days? Ain't nobody got time for that!
4. You also know what the terms EMAW...
5. ...and Rock Chalk mean.
And you feel strongly about them one way or another.
6. You know that the proper terms for these are slippery slide...
Not all slides are created equal (trust me; I have gone down a few not so slippery slides in my day).
To out-of-towners, it's a stiff neck; here, it's a small body of water.
8. ...and lightening bugs.
Owl City's song would have been SO much better had he used the correct term. ("You would not believe your eyes, if ten million lightening bugs..")
9. Instead of taking cover during one of these, your initial reaction is to get in your car and chase it.
10. You have perfected both your side-eye...
11. ...and fake laugh for anytime you hear another "hilarious" Wizard of Oz reference.
"Do I have a feeling I'm not in Kansas anymore? SO original!"
12. You get a thrill from vacationing in Colorado.
The best part? The drive isn't even too long.
13. No other type of BBQ will ever satisfy you quite as much as KC.
Nice try, Memphis and Texas!
14. Finally, pronouncing towns like Salina...
(Not to be confused with Salinas, California.)
It isn't called the "German Capital of Kansas" for nothing~
16. ...and Chautauqua just comes as second nature.
It's both a gift and a curse 🙂