It’s no secret that Iowa is the best place to live. Okay, it MAY be a secret – or at least just not as well known as we would like it to be, since Iowa is one of the most underrated states in the country. But, for people who don’t already live here (and know how awesome Iowa is), here are a few interesting facts that may just make you want to move:
1. Iowa is an extremely safe place to live.
With a low overall crime rate and the second lowest murder rate in the country, Iowa is the sixth safest place to live, according to Movoto.com.
2. We have a low cost of living.
Our cost of living is much lower than average. It's around 10 percent below the national average in Des Moines, and much lower in smaller towns. Also, in 2010, Forbes named Davenport/Bettendorf the most affordable metropolitan area in the nation.
3. And cheap housing.
According to Trulia.com, the average listing price for a single-family home in Iowa is $174,101, higher only than the average listing price in Ohio. That means Iowa has the second cheapest housing in the nation.
4. We have great education.
At 99%, Iowa has the highest literacy rate in the country, and at 90%, we have the highest graduation rate. Iowa also consistently ranks top in the nation for SAT and ACT test scores.
5. And one of the best capitals.
We have a pretty awesome state capital. In 2014, the Today Show named Des Moines the ‘wealthiest’ city, and it's known as a fast-growing hub, full of a unique culture that's all its own.
6. Plus, we are home to the nicest people you'll ever meet.
No matter where you live in Iowa, you're guaranteed to have the best neighbors!
7. And no matter where you go, there's boundless natural beauty.
Iowa is such a beautiful state, and we have plenty of scenic byways to cruise on and admire that beauty.
8. Also, you get to enjoy four amazing seasons.
In Iowa, you will never be bored with the endless summer heat because we have four seasons and each one is more beautiful than the last.
9. And you really don't have to worry about traffic jams.
One of the best things about Iowa is that there isn't a lot of traffic (with the exception of a few major roads), and there are almost never traffic jams, especially if you live in a small town or suburb.
10. Plus, we have some pretty great state parks.
With 85 state parks, six state forests, and 24 state wildlife areas, you will never get bored in Iowa.
11. And we have more good news! Unlike the rumors, Iowa isn't just flat land and cornfields. We have gorgeous, rolling hills.
As well as steep bluffs and flowing rivers.
And even deep, underground caves and caverns, just waiting to be explored.
12. And if nothing else, we have the best pork tenderloins you'll ever have in your life.
There is just no place like Iowa. What are some of your favorite things about our state?