1. Pack a picnic and take a stroll around Gray’s Lake
Public parks are not only pretty, they’re free. Pack a picnic from home, take a leisurely walk around the lake and then set out a blanket to enjoy your food by the water.
2. Zenith Chamber Music Festival
The Zenith Chamber Music Festival is an annual summer chamber music concert festival from August 16th - August 20th. The concerts feature local as well as national and international guest artists. All concerts are free admission.
3. Tour the Iowa State Capitol Building
The Iowa State Capitol Building is not only the home of the state senate, house of representatives and governor, it is also a stunning work of architecture, and best of all, you can take a guided tour of the building, for free.
4. Go for a bike ride on one of Des Moines many miles of public trails
Des Moines has become one of Iowa’s most walking and biking friendly cities. There are a total of 60 miles of trails within the city where you can walk, bike or jog for free.
5. Explore the State Historical Museum
Learn about Iowa’s history, contributions and heritage at this interesting museum.
6. Visit the Des Moines Art Center
This art center offers free exhibitions of its extensive collection of 20th and 21st century modern and contemporary art.
7. Walk through the Pappajohn Sculpture Park
A collection of two dozen incredible sculptures, this one-of-a-kind outside art exhibit is there for your enjoyment.