Iowa November 23, 2015
12 Life Hacks Everyone In Iowa Really Needs To Know
With winter fast approaching, and plenty of snow already here, there is nothing better than being prepared with an arsenal of tips and tricks to help us prepare for whatever Iowa throws at us this cold and snowy season. From homemade de-icers to tricks for keeping warm, here are 13 life hacks everyone in Iowa needs to know this winter:
1. Prevent an icy windshield by spraying your car windows with a 3:1 vinegar/water mixture. This will keep ice from forming on your windows (though you will still have to remove the snow).
2. Stuck in the snow? Try putting kitty litter under tires to get traction. This also works for sidewalks.
3. When shoveling snow, spray the blade with a silicone-based lubricant, or even a non-stick cooking spray, to help prevent snow from sticking. This will make shoveling a breeze.
4. When parking outside during the winter, park your car facing east so that the sun will defrost your windshield as it rises.
5. If you're stuck in the snow and don't have any other options, try using your car's floor mats to help you get traction.
6. Make sure your ceiling fan is spinning on the low setting in reverse (clockwise) during the winter months. It will re-circulate warmer air trapped near the ceiling down to floor level.
7. Here's an old hunting trick: men and women can wear pantyhose under their clothes for an extra layer of winter warmth.
8. To keep your winter boots standing up straight, cut up old pool noodles and place them inside your boots.
9. Has your favorite holiday sweater gotten covered in pills? Don't throw it out just yet. Try using a razor to de-pill it.
10. On a warmer day, you can wash the under side of your car by slowly driving over a sprinkler. This can prevent damage from all that salt and de-icing material.
11. Pour a mixture of 1 teaspoon liquid dish soap, 1 tablespoon rubbing alcohol, and ½ gallon of water over walkways so they don't refreeze.
12. Make your own winter windshield washer fluid by mixing 2 quarts of rubbing alcohol, 1 cup of water, and 1 teaspoon of dish detergent.
What do you think? Do you know of any more life hacks to get us through this winter? Share them with us!