Idaho isn’t just the third most philanthropic state in the country; we also make a name for ourselves in other ways. From agricultural products that we all use on a daily basis, to advanced technologies you didn’t know began here, Idaho has given back and continues to give a great deal to this awesome country. Here are just a few reasons why America should be thankful for Idaho’s unique – and delicious – contributions.
1. Idaho is a leader in making your cheesiest, meltiest dreams come true.
Idaho is the country's third-largest producer of cheese, which means the world has our beautiful state partially to thank for pizza, mac and cheese, cheese crackers, and all other scrumptious eats.
2. America has Idaho to thank for Monday night football, GOT, and so much more.
The precursor to the modern T.V. was invented by Philo Farnsworth in Rigby back in 1927. He later developed a full television system and launched the Farnsworth Television and Radio Corporation in 1938.
3. All things fried, potatoey, and magical start in Idaho!
Hamburgers would be lonely without Idaho potatoes for company. And FRY SAUCE!
4. Believe it or not, the technological world owes a great deal to the Gem State too.
Idaho's leading exports outside of crops and livestock are microchips and semiconductors, thanks in part to large tech companies like Micron. Holla!
5. The greatest supermarket on Earth is headquartered here.
WinCo doubled in size just last year and is expected to do so again this year, in part due to it's employee-centered business model.
6. Idaho is also responsible for producing and exporting more trout than anywhere else in the world.
You read that right. The
world. Over 50% of the globe's meal-sized trout comes from the Hagerman valley alone!
7. Wedded bliss begins with an Idaho-mined ring. We produce over 70 types of gemstones here.
Popping the question has never been so radiant!
8. The sustenance of the world rests also on our shoulders. As a state, we produce 80% of the globe's seedlings for agriculture.
Alfalfa, carrots, peas, sweet corn, and more all start here.
9. Health conscious consumers should be thankful for Chobani's headquarters here.
Once you go Greek, you never go back.
10. Beer. That is all.
Idaho only ranks 25th for actual craft beer production, but 3rd in the country for hops production. You're welcome!
11. Cheese isn't the only dairy product that Idaho is a leading producer of.
Dairy is our largest cash export here. What would you dunk your cookies in if not for Idaho?
12. But for all of our edible, tangible, and technological contributions, I'd say the world should be pretty thankful for this view, too.
Idaho is the gateway to adventure.
Isn’t our state amazing?! What other reasons should the country be thankful for us? Add to this list below!