Everyone who lives in Hawaii has undoubtedly amassed quite the collection of iconic images from across the state stored in their brain. And if you’ve lived here long enough, you should be able to recognize these 17 images within a split second. Are you up for the challenge? See how many images you recognize without looking at the captions below!
1. This grand palace is a Honolulu landmark.
Iolani Palace, the only palace on United States soil.
2. There’s the iconic crater next to one of the state’s most infamous beaches.
Diamond Head as viewed from Waikiki Beach.
3. Everyone is sure to recognize this iconic valley.
The Big Island’s Waipio Valley was once home to Hawaiian royalty.
4. And then there’s this other iconic valley.
Kauai’s Kalalau Valley is one of the most famous views on the island.
5. There are these two island landmarks.
The Mokulua Islands, often referred to as simply the mokes, lie off Lanikai Beach, and are a popular kayaking destination.
6. There’s this world-famous and illegal staircase.
While most of us have never attempted to ascend the illegal and dangerous Haiku Stairs, this image is so widespread that everyone who’s ever set foot in Hawaii knows about the Stairway to Heaven.
7. There’s this stunning architectural feat.
H-3 highway, which runs through the Ko’olau Mountains, is quite the magnificent structure.
8. There are few people who don’t immediately recognize this fiery image.
Kilauea is considered to be one of the most active volcanoes in the world.
9. There’s this stand-out hotel in an intense hue of pink.
The Royal Hawaiian is one of Waikiki’s most brilliant landmarks.
10. This magical pier is quite the landmark.
In addition to being one of the most picturesque spots on Kauai, the Hanalei Pier has also appeared in several movies.
11. There’s this iconic Maui waterfall.
Also known as the seven sacred pools, the Oheo Gulch is one of the most iconic images on the island.
12. And then there is this impressive waterfall, too.
Akaka Falls measures in at 442 feet and is one of the Big Island’s most visited tourist attractions.
13. This majestic canyon is what dreams are made of.
Anyone who doesn’t immediately recognize Waimea Canyon obviously has never been to Hawaii.
14. There’s this unique building.
The Honolulu State Capitol building, which was constructed in 1969, is quite striking.
15. This Maui monument will take your breath away.
The Iao Needle rises 1,200 feet from the valley’s floor, and is taller than the Eiffel Tower.
16. This incredible piece of history floating in the harbor.
The USS Arizona Memorial commemorates the lives of those aboard the USS Arizona during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.
17. This grand observatory sits above the clouds.
Mauna Kea Observatories is home to some of the most advanced telescopes in the world.
How many of these famous images did you recognize? What other images are instantly recognizable by anyone who lives in Hawaii? We’d love to hear your suggestions in the comments below!