Hawaii May 10, 2016
13 Struggles Everyone In Hawaii Can Relate To
The Hawaiian Islands are a magical land full of pristine beaches in various colors, stellar weather and postcard-worthy vistas, though there are certain aspects of life on a small island that aren’t necessarily worth writing home about. While most people undoubtedly fall in love with Hawaii, there are some things we need to complain about every once in a while. Here are 13 of those struggles.
1. When you’re not sure whether to leave the beach when it starts raining – or just wait ten minutes.
2. When you get stuck in traffic – especially going west on H1 at 2:30 p.m. on a Sunday when you thought the traffic would be relatively non-existent.
3. When you can’t decide what toppings to enjoy on your acai bowl, or what flavors to get in your shave ice.
4. When you head to your favorite secluded spot, only to discover it’s been inundated with tourists.
5. When you are constantly going to friends’ going away parties, because Hawaii is such a revolving door.
It’s difficult enough to make friends as an adult, but it’s even worse when you have to constantly try to make new friends because the people you used to hang out with all moved away.
6. When you have massive sinus issues and can’t pinpoint why you’re feeling so bad until someone mentions the vog.
Why do we ever question this? It's always the vog.
7. When everyone else is talking about their favorite chain restaurants on the mainland, and you’re just hoping that the rumor about an Olive Garden coming to Hawaii is true…
Too bad it’s been an ongoing rumor for the last five years.
8. When you’re acting as a tour guide for the fourth time in as many months and you can’t bear to hike Diamond Head or drive Maui’s Road to Hana one more time…
9. The massive potholes will quickly ruin your vehicle.
And no, we’re not just talking about dirt roads either. Even the paved highways are littered with potholes.
10. When you’re online shopping and get super excited about an item before realizing that the shipping cost is more than double what the item is actually worth.
Amazon Prime will quickly become your best friend.
11. When you nearly have a heart attack at the grocery store because a gallon of milk is so expensive.
You have no idea how many times I've considered going vegetarian just because it would be cheaper to not buy meat.
12. When you feel guilty for wanting to spend your day off binging Netflix instead of hanging out at the beach.
The sun guilt is real, people.
13. When you try to complain about any aspect of your life, and are met with a chorus of, “Oh, it can’t be that bad – you live in Hawaii, after all.”
What other struggles or complaints about life in Hawaii do you have? Sound off on our Only In Hawaii