The rising sun represents the dawn of a new day, the promise of a new beginning. And nowhere are sunrises more stunning than the islands of Hawaii. To prove it, here are 20 photographs of the sunrises that signal a new day here in the paradise we call home.
1) “Sunrise at Haleakala” by Roland Pernter
This sunrise above the clouds is quite the beauty.
2) “Sunrise Dream Scape” by Paul Bica
There is no denying that this sunrise over Honolulu is anything less than dreamy.
3) “Morning Zen” by Christian Arballo
Just one example of the many gorgeous shades that can sneak into a Hawaiian sunrise.
4) “Sunrise Panorama” by Peter Liu
A new day begins over the West Maui Mountains, as seen from Kihei.
5) “Hanauma Sunrise” by Marvin Chandra
This exquisite sunrise over Haunama Bay and Koko Crater on Oahu is well worth rising before the sun.
6) “Sunrise, Sunrise” by Chris Chabot
This sunrise over Makena is simultaneously both beautiful, and a little bit eerie.
7) “Kaneohe Sunrise” by Rodney Topor
Viewing a striking sunset over Windward Oahu is the perfect way to begin any day.
8) “Hawaiian Sunrise” by Stanley Zimney
A subdued sunrise is just as good as a vibrant one, especially when it’s captured like this.
9) “Sunrise Kaho'olawe Hawaii” by Justin De La Ornellas
Several individuals watch the sunrise on a restoration trip to the small Hawaiian Island of Kaho’olawe.
10) “Waipio Valley at Sunrise” by Anish Patel
Sun peaking through the coastline, with rays penetrating the ocean.
11) “Morning West of Mauna Kea” by Sam Cox
The sun rises over a golf course near Mauna Kea.
12) “Dawn of a New Day” by Peggy
Hues of pink fill the sky above Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head.
13) “Reflecting Pool” by Alpha 2008
The sunrise reflecting on a swimming pool, in brilliant shades of blue.
14) “Another Kualoa Sunrise” by Steve Adcock
Off the coast of Kualoa Ranch on Oahu, the sun rises in a brilliant mist of orange.
15) “Sunrise at Halema’uma’u Crater” by Prawdeep Sawlani
I’m not sure which is more breathtaking – the sunrise, or the lava glow from this crater located in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
16) “Waipouli Sunrise” by Jim Mullhaupt
A sunrise through the tress on Kauai.
17) “Sunrise Over Maui” by Rose Braverman
There is something truly special about this shot of Maui taken from the neighboring island of Molokai.
18) “Sunrise at the 2010 Honolulu Marathon” by Bill Sodeman
Taken two hours after the marathon began at Ala Moan Beach Park – because starting a marathon that early in the morning is the only way to stay cool.
19) “Sunrise Splash” by David Baker
With a sunrise in the background, surf splashes against the shore.
20) “Pacific Ocean” by U.S. Pacific Fleet
A photograph of a U.S. Navy destroyer heading into the sunrise near Hawaii.
Sometimes, I can’t get over how beautiful this wonderful “aloha state” truly is.