Hawaii September 09, 2015
Take These 13 Roads In Hawaii For An Unforgettable Scenic Drive
If you are anything like me, when I moved to Hawaii, I missed taking road trips, a lot. Luckily for us, even though we can’t drive very far, there are several incredibly stunning roads across the state of Hawaii, ready for us to take a scenic drive whenever we start to experience a little island fever.
1) Driving along this winding road to the summit of Haleakala on Maui is absolutely exhilarating. I mean, you are practically riding with the clouds!
2) Hop on Oahu’s H-3 headed from Honolulu to the windward side of the island. The highway runs through the Ko’olau Mountains, and you’ll feel as though you were transported to the world of Jurassic Park. Maybe that’s because part of the movie was shot here.
3) Highway 200, also known as Saddle Road, connects the towns of Kona and Hilo on either side of the Big Island.
4) Maluhia Road will transport you to Koloa, an old sugar plantation town, through a tunnel of trees on Kauai.
5) Drive Farrington Highway past Waianae – the Pacific on Oahu’s Leeward coast is stunning, and the mountains are absolutely divine. Drive to the end of the road and continue on foot for the last 2.5 miles to reach the westernmost tip of the island.
6) Catch a sunset while on Kula Road, with a view of the West Maui Mountains in the background.
7) This narrow road on the Hamakua Coast of the Big Island is four miles of heaven – but it is also rather dangerous, so be careful, drive slowly, and definitely don’t do the drive if it’s pouring.
8) Maui’s Road to Hana is 64 miles long, passing over 59 bridges, with approximately 620 curves along the road.
9) Take Kamehameha Highway and drive around the south, east and north shores of Oahu. With stunning beaches, gorgeous lookout spots, and majestic mountains, the drive is a perfect day trip to experience the true beauty of the island.
10) This winding road with beautiful ocean views leads away from Kauai’s Waimea Canyon.
11) Take a break from the ocean views with this scenic byway north of Hilo.
12) The drive up Tantalus is not only fun – but also provides stellar views of Honolulu.
13) The drive up to the summit of Mauna Kea is steep, dangerous, and worth every second. That is Mauna Loa in the distance, FYI.
What is your favorite scenic drive in Hawaii? Share your comments – and photos – in the comments below!