Georgia really is a phenomenal state—not just for people who live here full time, but also for anyone who visits. There are so many reasons why Georgia is wonderful, it’s hard to narrow them down (although, you can bet we’ve sure tried in the past). But there still may be some naysayers out there who bash on Georgia, for reasons that are beyond me. So, it’s high time we shut those haters down and explain, with factual reasoning, why Georgia rules. So the next time you hear someone hating on this fine state, you can use these 14 reasons as some substantial ammunition. Check it out:
1. Are you voting this upcoming election, and you're under 21 years old? You can thank Georgia.
Georgia was the first state to allow 18-year-olds to vote.
2. We have some historically recognizable universities.
We are home to the oldest state-chartered university in the nation, the University of Georgia, which was founded in 1789.
3. Fresh produce constantly.
As one of the top agricultural states in the country, there is a constant stream of fresh produce available to residents and visitors alike.
4. We're home to some pretty successful and inspiring human beings.
James Brown, James E. Carter, Ray Charles, Alan Jackson, Martin Luther King Jr., Gladys Knight, Margaret Mitchell, Burt Reynolds, Jackie Robinson, Joanne Woodward, Trisha Yearwood, and Julia Roberts to name a few.
5. Where else can you see wild horses grazing wind swept sand dunes?
Cumberland Island, Georgia, is home to bands of feral horses totaling about 150.
6. Our housing is affordable, and our neighborhoods safe.
According to Safewise's safest cities in Georgia report, Georgia has a whole slew of safe cities to live in, plus owning a home isn't just a pipe dream in those neighborhoods. There are plenty of affordable housing opportunities in Georgia that you may not experience elsewhere.
7. Do you drink Coca-Cola? Then you can't hate on Georgia.
Coca-Cola was invented and first sold in Atlanta, Georgia.
8. We have more than 60 state parks.
W have 63 to be exact. All of which boast some incredible hiking, breath-taking views, and gorgeous natural beauty.
9. As far as geographical wonderment goes, Georgia's got the rest beat.
In fact, Stone Mountain is one of the largest single masses of exposed granite in the world.
10. Historic Saint Marys Georgia is the second oldest city in the nation.
It has history and charm. But did we also mention beauty?
11. Golfers unite in this beautiful state every year.
The infamous Masters is hosted in Augusta, Georgia.
12. We are the number one producer of peaches, pecans and peanuts.
So the next time that hater is eating any of those three, you tell them Georgia sends her love.
13. We have the world's largest drive-in fast food restaurant.
So, what will ya have?
14. If you're a woman and you like owning the property you have, you can make you thank you cards out to: The State of Georgia.
Georgia was the first state to allow women full property rights.
So the next time someone is hating on Georgia in your presence, you can unleash this arsenal and hopefully shut them up.