There are certain things that only Georgians understand, which makes it a bit tricky to have to explain to an out-of-towner. So, we wanted to set the record straight for all those inquiring about Georgian intricacies. Consider tagging your out-of-town friends so that they know what this state really is about. Here are 12 things Georgians constantly have to explain to out-of-towners.
1. You’ve tried grits before? If they weren't from Georgia, they aren't grits.
Georgia is the only place I trust to cook me up some tasty, satisfying grits.
2. We’re not just sitting around eating peaches.
Contrary to popular belief, we do more than just eat peaches all day. We also eat pecans, blueberries, and Vidalia onions, too.
3. There is way more to Georgia that just Atlanta.
Out-of-towners think all we have is Atlanta. And while a great city, there is so much more to this beautiful state.
4. We like to get outside and explore.
No, we're not all sitting back ingesting butter in our recliner chairs. Georgians like to get out and explore! Our hiking trails rule and our scenery is like nothing else in the country.
5. It doesn’t matter if our team is losing, we’ll still cheer them on.
Sure, we haven't had much victory for our sports teams as of late, but that doesn't mean we'll give up rooting them on.
6. No, there isn’t any other pop choice besides Coke.
Pepsi? Dr. Pepper? Sprite? I'm sorry, I don't know what you're talking about.
7. Yes, our humidity can be just as bad as Florida.
Just because we have a state line, doesn't mean humidity adheres to those boundaries.
8. We don’t have an accent…YOU have an accent.
Please don't come to our state and say WE have funny accents. You're in our state, out-of-towner. You speak funny and you're outnumbered.
9. If it’s not boiled, well then it’s not a peanut.
Yes, we boil peanuts. Why? Because they're damn tasty. Is it weird? No. Not until you try one.
10. No, Kentucky Fried Chicken is not better than Georgia fried chicken.
Fried chicken is different wherever you go. It just so happens that the best fried chicken is right here in Georgia. We got pretty lucky.
11. Yes, we do have beaches…and they’re darn beautiful.
Hey, out-of-towner. You may think you need to head south for some killer ocean views and clean, white sand, but you're misinformed. Georgia has all that and more.
12. If it starts snowing, you better RUN to your grocery store and stock up before you starve to death.
Even a flurry can send Georgians into a panic. So you may as well stock up now. Otherwise, you'll be stuck.