Georgians can definitely get away with some serious bragging about our state. Not only have we been such a crucial part in shaping the United States, but we’re pretty darn cool all around. However, there may be a few things we can be quite stubborn about. You know what I’m talking about….those things that we may know deep down about our beloved state but will NEVER admit out loud. We are fiercely loyal and wonderfully proud, but there may be some things swept under the rug that it may be time to face.
Keep in mind, this list is meant to be fun….and obviously kept just between you and me.
1. "Floridians really are Southerners..."
You would only ever hear a Georgian say this out loud if they were being extremely geographically correct. THEN, Floridians would technically be Southerners.
2. "Sometimes our sports teams are hard to love."
We've experienced a lot of highs and lows throughout the years with some of our favorite Georgian teams. And as much as they get on our nerves, we're still forever fans.
3. "Yes, we're proud that our state experiences four seasons...even in one week."
Nope. The fluctuation in weather that we experience in Georgia can just be downright insane. And no, it's not something we enjoy.
4. "I've never had a 'Mater sandwich."
Yes, yes you have. And you loved it.
5. "I have no idea when the peaches will be at their ripest."
Even if you didn't know, you'd never willingly admit it out loud. If you did, you'd receive a Georgia eviction letter magically in your mailbox the next day.
6. "I love Pepsi. Mmm mmm mmm."
Pepsi is NOT AN OPTION. Ever. Coca-Cola is the only pop choice there is. And if you start calling it soda so help me....
7. "We have an aquarium in Georgia?"
You know darn well we have one of the biggest and best aquariums in the country. It's a fact.
8. "Atlanta has two t's, so really you need to pronounce them both."
No, you won't. If you're from Georgia then you bet your bum one of those t's is silent. And you also know which one.
9. "Of course Washington state produces more blueberries than us. Their climate is way better."
Georgian farmers have worked REEEALLY hard to become one of the top producers of blueberries in the country. While we produced 92 million pounds last year, Washington state beat us out by a mere 4.1 million pounds.
10. "Brunswick stew obviously originated in Brunswick County, Virginia."
While Brunswick County, Virginia is adamant about the fact that they are the true originators of this delicious stew, it's just simply wrong. A plaque on an old iron pot in Brunswick, Georgia, says the first Brunswick stew was made in it on July 2, 1898, on nearby St. Simons Island. So...ha.
11. "I've never been to a Drive-In restaurant."
We have the largest fast food drive-in IN THE WORLD. And it's darn delicious. So, what'll ya have?
12. "You know, I really do hate the outdoors."
Lies, pure lies. You know you love the outdoors. You've hiked Brasstown Bald and enjoyed every minute of it.
What are some more things Georgians will never admit out loud? We’d love to hear your thoughts!