Sometimes it’s hard to be a Floridian. Sure, our state is beautiful and (usually) has amazing weather, but we’re really misunderstood by the rest of the country. Here are a few important things Floridians wish we could tell everyone else, especially if they’re thinking about visiting or moving to Florida:
1. It actually rains A LOT in the Sunshine State.
In the summer months, it rains almost every single day. Don't worry, though, it will probably stop in 10 minutes.
2. We don't care how you do things wherever you're from.
Guess you better start heading back up there, huh?
3. We're not all retired.
It's nice to dream, but sadly this isn't true. Most of us are still working a 9 to 5, and not relaxing on the beach all day.
4. Wait until you see our summer before you hate us during the winter.
Our summers are six months long and so hot and humid that sometimes we get stuck indoors, too.
5. Take these signs seriously.
Nobody is pulling your leg. Except maybe a gator if you don't pay attention to these warnings.
6. The farther north you travel in Florida, the more Southern it becomes.
Florida could be anywhere from two to ten different states, depending on who you talk to, but this is a good rule of thumb for beginners.
7. Most people who visit never see the real Florida.
There's so much more to Florida than theme parks and crowded beaches.
8. Not everyone in Florida is like the people you read about in news stories.
First of all, Florida has a huge, always-growing population, and we get transplants from all over the country. We can't really take credit for all of this crazy.
9. Teach everyone you know the Stingray Shuffle.
Especially for those visiting our beautiful Gulf Coast beaches, it's important to learn this little dance. It stirs up the sand where stingrays might be hiding, saving you from some serious pain.
10. Please don't be this guy.
Come on, man, why? Why?!
11. If you take us somewhere cold, we will resent you.
Look, we just don't handle that stuff very well. We bundle up when it drops below 60.
12. This is the best grocery store on the planet.
If you disagree, then you obviously haven't been here long enough to experience its multi-faceted charm. From spotless stores to BOGOs to our favorite subs, Publix is simply the best.
13. Nope, we're not jealous of your winter wonderland. Not even a little bit.
Yeah, we're totally shedding a tear while ordering another round of margaritas and taking in that ocean view.
Well Floridians, what do you think? What are some things you wish you could tell the rest of the country?