Here’s a new way to look at the first state – from the air! These aerial photos of Delaware mesmerize you, taking you thousands of feet above the state and truly giving perspective on how small we are. Do you recognize the locations before reading the captions? Give it a shot! One even has me stumped – can you named the spot?
I’ll give you an overall hint – almost all of the cities are from New Castle County, and almost all of the “nature” shots are from Kent or Sussex. Good luck!
1. For some perspective, here's the whole state and the Delmarva Peninsula
This amazing shot captured by NASA is a real gem! I could stare at this for hours.
2. Let's start off with an easy one. Urban, large buildings, and a river...
This is Wilmington! Of course. Can you spot your favorite Wilmington neighborhood?
3. Here's another stunning aerial view of Wilmington
This city is so pretty from the air!
4. And one more, for good luck.
This expansive scene shows Wilmington and the surrounding areas in Winter. It really puts it into perspective how condensed this area of Delaware is!
5. Do you know what you're looking at, here?
This is another easy one - the Smyrna Correctional Facility is enormous, and if you've ever driven past it, you should have recognized it right way.
6. This is similar to #5 - but a little more 1859.
Do you need to get a little closer?
7. Now it should be obvious! What a marvelous view!
Of course, this is Fort Delaware and Pea Patch Island. Fort Delaware was a harbor defense stronghold and a prison for Confederate soldiers captured during the Civil War.
8. Here's a challenging one - and an amazing view of New Castle County.
This is Price's Corner - if you look at the roads, you might recognize that this is where Route 2/Route 41 and Route 141 meet up, outside of Wilmington.
9. This one's not so hard - the half circle at the end gives it away!
Christiana Hospital looks so massive and impressive from the air. I love this photograph of Delaware!
10. I think all of the green gives this one away.
I love this city in Delaware for how it's retained so much nature despite being an urban environment. Newark, Delaware, from the air really drives home the beauty that even our cities posses.
11. Do you know what this area of Delaware is called?
While almost everyone lumps this area into "Wilmington" if they're not from New Castle County, it's really Stanton, Delaware.
12. This is a stunning closeup of our only thoroughbred racetrack.
This aerial photo of Delaware Park is stunning. I could hang this on my wall!
13. The river gives this one away! Can you name the neighborhood?
Can you name the neighborhoods shown here? I'll give you a hint - that's 495 following the river for miles.
14. Another New Castle County Town is beautiful from the air!
Tiny Ogletown is gorgeous from way up here.
15. This aerial photo of Delaware makes me feel like I'm in the most beautiful state in the country.
Of course, that would be Delaware. Not Maryland, Not Pennsylvania. It could have gone either way, though - this is a photograph of the disputed Wedge between all three states.
16. This one has got me stumped!
I give up! Do you know where this is? Please share the answer with me, because it's driving me crazy.
17. These next three are all of the same stunning oasis in Delaware.
Can you guess where these were taken?
18. Here's a hint - it's a National Wildlife Refuge...
...and it's absolutely beautiful from the air, and on the ground.
19. Any final guesses?
These aerial photos of Delaware were taken after Hurricane Sandy, to assess the damage to Prime Hook National Wildlife Preserve. The vastness and beauty amaze me.
20. And finally, last but not least, one of my favorite places in Delaware.
Bombay Hook National Wildlife Preserve is the best place to go birding in Delaware, and their boardwalks and trails offer some of the most interesting views in the state - from the ground, that is.
What a beautiful state we have. These aerial photos of Delaware certainly tell the story of some of the most interesting places in Delaware!