Who isn’t looking to save a few bucks? Whether you want to learn something new at a museum, feel more connected to nature, or tempt your tastebuds, we’ve got you covered. Each activity in this list is completely free!
1. Visit a Nature Center
Many of the nature centers in our state, like the DuPont Environmental Education Center (DEEC) in Wilmington, offer free admission. They also offer activities at a nominal price. I love the DEEC because of the juxtaposition of the city with the Russell W. Peterson Wildlife Refuge.
2. Enjoy the finer things in life at an art museum
Picasso taste on a comic strip budget? The Delaware Art Museum in Wilmington offers free admission all day Sundays and on Thursday evenings. The Delaware Contemporary, also located in Wilmington, is free every day and has a cool collection of modern art.
3. Go on the 'record' … at the Johnson Victrola Museum
A must-see for music enthusiasts. You’ll learn about the evolution of sound recording and see a variety of victrola players at this Dover museum.
4. Wander around a zoo
Go wild December through February, when admission at the Brandywine Zoo in Wilmington is free. Cost to visit during the rest of the year is less than $10 per person.
5. Listen to the crashing of the waves as you sit on the boardwalk
The people watching is great, too.
6. Come in for a landing at the Air Mobility Command Museum
More than 30 aircraft on exhibit and simulators make this fun for kids of all ages - and it’s always free.
7. Boogie the night away at an outdoor concert
The Town of Bethany Beach hosts a free outdoor summer concert series. There are tons of free outdoor activities at the beach from June through August.
8. Surrender yourself… to the Delaware State Police Museum
Learn about Delaware State Police history and see some police cars in person.
9. ‘Hop’ over to to a brewery tour
Learn a bit about the art and science that goes into your favorite brew by taking a free tour of the Dogfish Head Craft Brewery in Milton. Best part? There are also free samples.
10. If you’re not ‘two tired’ for a bike ride… check out one of our trails!