1. We don’t all work for the government or as lobbyists or lawyers or government contractors.
It might seem like all anyone here does is work for the government in some way, shape or form. But DC is a diverse city with many different types of people who work in many different areas.
2. DC is split into quadrants.
There is more to DC than the monuments and the memorials. DC has four quadrants and there is further divided into districts and neighborhoods.
3. You do not eat or drink on the metro.
This is not just a guideline It’s a rule that everyone follows. You can get a ticket for eating or drinking on the metro.
4. Mumbo sauce is like BBQ sauce but better.
It’s a little bit sweeter than BBQ sauce but it is absolutely delicious and you can put it on almost everything.
5. You stand on the right side of the escalator and you walk on the left.
This is the most important rule in DC. Always stand on the right and walk on the left. There is no exception!
6. We don’t all cheer for the Redskins or the Nats.
The Ravens and the Orioles have strong support in the district. The Battle of the Beltway is always a fun game every year!
7. It’s not that we’re not friendly. We’re just usually headed somewhere.
DC residents have to handle crowds, traffic and the always delayed metro so if we don’t always smile or stop to chat, it’s not because we’re not nice. We're usually just on the go.
8. Not everyone here actually lives here.
DC is full of commuters. People will drive in from Maryland or Virginia and spend most of their days in the district. It’s why it’s a popular question people to say. “No, but do you live in DC or outside of it?”
9. There’s never a good time to drive in the district.
Traffic is always bad here. Always. Parking is also terrible. You’re better off taking the metro or walking most of the time.
10. Some of the best food comes from trucks or hole in the walls.
There are many great restaurants with celebrity chefs that always have a line around the block. However, there are so many incredible mom and pop shops, hole in the wall spots, and food trucks that serve up the most delicious food.