Alaska March 07, 2017
21 Reasons Why Alaska Has The World’s Greatest Outdoor Classroom
When it comes to learning opportunities in the great outdoors, nowhere else on the planet can touch the diversity that Alaska has to offer. From the tallest mountains in North America, to hundreds of thousands of glacial landmasses, to arctic deserts and more active volcanoes than you’ll ever be able to wrap your brain around… Whether it’s geology or orometry, the Last Frontier is one massive melting pot for just about every outdoor learning opportunity under the sun. There is no better place in the world to raise a family and there is no other place in the world that will speak to your mind, body and soul quite like the great outdoors of the 49th state.
1. If you want to learn about orometry, Alaska is home to the tallest mountain in North America; Denali.
Not to mention of the 20 of the highest peaks in the United States, 17 are in Alaska.
Flickr - NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
2. You’ll be fascinated by the immense volcanic land that you can explore in the 49th state.
3. In fact, there are currently more than 70 potentially active volcanoes spread throughout the Last Frontier.
4. There are more than three million lakes in Alaska, each of which offers tremendous limnology learning opportunities.
5. To continue while you’re already ahead, Alaska is also home to over 3,000 rivers.
6. Not to mention, Alaska has roughly 174,683,900 acres of wetlands that you can study.
7. You can get up close and personal with the Pacific Ocean and many of the beautiful marine life that call it home.
8. In fact, Alaska is an oceanographer’s paradise as it touches the Pacific Ocean, Arctic Ocean and the Bering Sea.
9. Studying all the odds and ends that wash up on shorelines is easy in Alaska as it is home to 6,640 miles of coastline.
Or a total of 33,904 miles of shoreline if you include our 2,670 named islands.
10. Avid dog + outdoor lovers are at home in Alaska where the state sport is dog mushing.
11. Of if you’re just an animal lover in general, you’ll be elevated to hear that Alaska is home to several rehabilitation facilities for marine and land wildlife.
The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, Alaska Raptor Center and Fortress of the Bear are just a few.
12. There are also many places in Alaska where the wildlife populations outnumber the human life.
To learn more about Admiralty Island in Southeast Alaska,
13. Alaska’s rich gold rush history is abundant throughout many different regions and preserved historic sites.
Independence Mine in the Hatcher Pass area is one of the many fascinating sites that visitors and locals alike enjoy exploring.
14. Our nearly 100,000 glaciers offer immense outdoor opportunities to study glaciology, the effects of climate change and so much more.
15. In fact, Alaska’s glaciers empty over 50,000 billion gallons of water into streams and rivers every summer.
You’ll always be able to notice a glacial fed area because the water is either filled with silt or strikingly blue in color.
16. Alaska is home to a
massive outdoor arctic desert where you can put all your eremology skills to the test.
17. With nearly 85% of Alaska’s land being covered in permafrost, let’s just say that you’ll never run out of new places to study geology.
18. The incredible hiking trails in Alaska are the perfect way to combine history class with gym class.
I mean, you can even
hike on a trail that will lead you straight into another country.
Head to Skagway to experience the utterly breathtaking views along the way of the Chilkoot Trail.
19. Alaska’s historic villages are filled with a noteworthy amount of cherished culture.
20. Two words: Northern Lights!
AKA the Aurora Borealis.
21. Simply put... there is no greater place on earth to learn about life, love and the pursuit of happiness than from the middle of Alaska’s great outdoors.
For more incredible stuff, be sure to check out
this stunning natural phenomenon in Alaska that must be seen to be believed. Also, this other breathtaking natural phenomenon that happens just once a year in Alaska is utterly spectacular.