Alaska December 25, 2016
28 Undeniable Things Every Alaskan Fears
Living in the mighty last frontier certainly does not come without its challenges. From building on top of permafrost, getting stuck in an avalanche, falling into a frozen lake, getting charged by a wild animal or being a victim to Alaska’s wild weather patterns, the struggles definitely run deep in the 49th state. If you live here currently (or ever have), you are sure to relate to these 28 undeniable things that every Alaska fears.
1. Missing out on the PFD.
Or having it taken away from you...
2. Ice fog.
Is this really even happening right now? WTF.
3. Getting charged by a moose.
4. Or being stuck between a mama bear and her cubs.
5. Free shipping... except to Alaska!
6. Insanely long flight delays due to fog and inclement weather.
Tick tock, tick tock.
7. Forgetting to plug in your car.
8. Forgetting to carry a gun into the backcountry.
9. Or even the city nowadays.
With a record breaking number of homicides in Anchorage in 2016, it's getting pretty scary out there. Yikes!
10. Boarding a plane and then getting stuck on the tarmac after hearing ‘sorry for the delay, we now have to de-ice the runway.’
11. Breaking down in the Alaskan wilderness in the middle of a no-reception area.
12. Bad salmon runs.
13. Or when the runs are so bad that the fishing gets closed altogether.
Heart wrenching, really.
14. ‘No burning’ bans during the summertime.
C'mon now, they keep the mosquitoes away!
15. Getting stuck in the deadliest quicksand imaginable.
Just say no to the mud flats!
16. Being stuck in a swarm of nasty mosquitoes, without any bug spray.
17. Three little words: hook in eye.
Don't mind combat fishing? Better wear a good pair of sun glasses!
18. Spruce bark beetles.
Eating you out of house and home...
19. Devils club or cow parsnip.
Little prickly ouchy plants!
20. Permafrost and frost heaves underneath a foundation.
21. Not getting enough snow to run the Iditarod or to take the snow machines out.
22. It won’t get dark enough to see the fireworks on the 4th of July.
23. Driving into an avalanche.
24. Motorcoaches and motorhomes by the masses.
25. When you think that the lake is frozen, but it’s actually not. And you fall in.
26. Or when you just simply get too excited about fishing that you forget to put your vehicle in park.
27. Having to leave Alaska during the summertime.
Don't you dare take away our magical season under the midnight sun!
28. But also, having to deal with the non-stop summertime traffic caused by tourists and construction workers.
If you agreed with those things, you’ll definitely get a good laugh out of
these 20 extremely weird things that only people from Alaska do. Also, there is simply no denying these 22 things that every Alaskan misses when they leave home.