It’s pretty hard NOT to be proud of your Alaskan heritage, but in case you’ve been feeling a little low on the pride lately, here are 12 really good reasons to be proud of your state.
1) We've got the biggest mountains!
17 of the 20 tallest peaks in North America are in Alaska.
2) We dominate the fishing industry.
Alaska is the powerhouse of the fishing and seafood industry.
3) We have boat loads of oil.
Our pipeline is one of the longest in the world and Alaska also accounts for roughly 25% of the oil produced in the U.S.
4) Alaska helped start the gold rush!
Joe Juneau helped kick start the gold rush after his discovery in 1880.
5) We have low poverty rates.
The rest of the U.S. averages a 15.4% poverty rate while Alaska only has a 9.9% rate.
6) We also have a pretty sturdy median household income.
Alaska averages $70,760 as the median household income while the rest of the U.S. sits at $53,046.
7) Tourists love us.
Our economy relies strongly on the fact that we get SO MANY VISITORS. We are a vacation hot spot.
8) We are expanding our breweries.
From small villages to the big city, Alaska is on the rise for breweries and we're proud of that.
9) We have the lowest population density in the U.S.
We enjoy being able to stretch out and truly enjoy some solitude. Did you know that in Alaska there are 1.2 people per square mile while the rest of America averages at 87.4 people per square mile. WOW.
10) We're animal friendly!
There are zero endangered species in the National Forests of Alaska, how cool is that?
11) Our parks and recreational areas bring their A-game.
Our forests and parks are insanely beautiful, and I shouldn't forget to mention that we have the largest National Forest in the U.S.! Thank you very much, Tongass National Forest.
12) We keep the seafood industry afloat.
That's right, we supply the rest of America with a majority of its salmon, crab, herring, and halibut.