If you ask any sourdough they’ll tell you that blending in is not a part of life in the Last Frontier. In fact, up here we dance to the beat of our own drum so much so that we don’t even realize when we aren’t fitting into everyone else’s idea of the status quo. But that is precisely what makes Alaska such a desirable place to be. If you don’t believe us, just see for yourself…
1. Yes, we’re located in the United States.
2. And no, you won’t get international roaming fees when you’re here.
3. It’s AK, not AL.
4. We tell distance in time, not miles.
But between winter conditions and summer tourism, it's pretty much the same thing.
But mile markers do make very good reference points.
5. You’ll more than likely find an Alaskan taking at least a week off during dipnetting season.
All about that red run, baby!
6. Our take on Alaska’s unofficial state bird is painstakingly funny.
7. If it’s above 20 degrees, you’ll probably catch us in shorts or a tee shirt.
8. While our fur babies have a whole winter wardrobe to themselves.
9. In Alaska, our dog teams are loved so much that they even have their own caution signs.
Plus you'll definitely know someone with this many dog houses...
10. Oh does our signage offend you?
Trust us… we’re just getting started!
Let's just say that international diplomacy isn’t something that everyone agrees with…
11. What we’re referring to when we talk about a nice rack.
Totally normal roadway concoction right here…
12. We have absolutely no concept of time in the summer.
So you’ll probably find us fishing, gardening and ATV’ing at all hours of the night.
13. Braaaaap! Their called snowmachines, not snowmobiles.
You can also call them sleds.
14. Catching crabs in Alaska is also known as winning the jackpot.
We spell yum C-R-A-B!
15. Neighborhoods in Alaska look a little something like this in the winter…
Or this in the summer...
16. Every Alaskan has that one freezer that just looks haggard.
But at the same time, we really only need a freezer for a few months a year.
Just set er' outside!
Not to mention, only in Alaska will you find a make-shift freezer out of permafrost.
17. Style isn’t really a big concern in Alaska, but that doesn’t stop people from having strong opinions.
18. Let’s just say that gun ownership is high in the last frontier.
Flickr - Brian
19. Fenced yards in Alaska can be considered a matter of life or death.
20. Our hillsides are literally painted pink by fireweed during the summertime.
The stunningly beautiful side of being the black sheep.
21. We have a whole town that’s basically dedicated to Santa Claus and all things Christmas related.
But we prefer our reindeer on a dog, not the front of a sleigh.
22. Although some prefer have pet reindeer themselves and walk them around town just like a family dog.
While others take their reindeer for scenic drives…
23. While you’re kids get snow days, ours still have recess until the thermometer falls below -10 degrees.
Plus they play on fields that look like this...
Better bundle up!
24. Giggle all you want, but we’ll always refer to remote villages as the bush.
25. There is a chance that the place you’re headed to, you won’t be able to properly pronounce.
Um... how many syllables was that again?
26. While the rest of the world is talking about football, we’re over here slangin’ pucks and shreddin’ the pow.
27. We get married in Xtratuf’s.
And take family photos in them.
28. While the rest of the world is complaining about snow storms, we drive in white out conditions on the regular.
Road lanes? Never heard of em'.
29. We settle with these kind of prices to live off the grid, away from the hustle and bustle.
Way better than living in the city.
30. Chances are that at least one of your neighbors owns an otter as a second mode of transportation.
Yes, our planes have both floats and skis.
31. House shopping in Alaska, otherwise known as taxidermy touring in Alaska.
32. -25 never bothered an Alaskan!
We blame the northern lights for making us do such crazy things.
Like camp outside in the dead of the winter.
33. After countless months of darkness, we revel in every ounce of sunshine that we get!
Alaska or bust, baby! Drink it in!