If you aren’t from Alaska or if you haven’t lived in Alaska for any generous amount of time, it wouldn’t be surprising if you didn’t fully understand the context of this article. You see, those of us that live, work and play here, day in and day out, experience the highest of the highs and the oddest of the odds. From silly questions and opinionated outsiders to inclement weather and unusual lifestyles, we are used to people not quite understanding the wildly different last frontier. Here are 20 things only those from Alaska know to be true.
1. We eat like kings and are completely unapologetic about it.
Flickr - Artizone
Wildly delicious and if you're jealous, we totally understand. We would be too if we weren't so busy spoiled with deliciousness.
2. Owning over twenty dogs is completely normal.
In fact, it's the most awesome way of life EVER.
3. The worst thing about summer in Alaska is that the construction lasts for nearly 24 hours a day.
Thankfully we have stunning views to keep us preoccupied.
4. You haven’t lived until you’ve closed down the local watering hole underneath the midnight sun.
I mean... this is truly an "Only in Alaska" type of experience. Must be experienced to fully understand the awesomeness.
5. If you don’t like guns and hunting, you should probably just leave. Like, yesterday.
Yeah, if you're someone who gets offended easily... Alaska is likely not the best fit for you.
6. Motorcoaches and motorhomes mean that the tourists have arrived.
Flickr - David Casteel
Tis' the season!
7. And cruise ships.
Yeah... that too!
8. Oh, and peace signs.
Can't forget about the telltale signature hand motion. We love you tourists! Really, we do. We get it... Alaska makes people act a little cray-cray.
9. You’d be silly not to have a block heater in your car.
Depending on where you live in Alaska, I guess. But these things are life savers in interior Alaska. BRRR!
10. We know that the weather can change in a split second.
What should you wear? Layers. Always. Every. Single. Day.
11. No matter how many times you ask, the Northern Lights do not come out at scheduled times.
Not now, not ever. C'mon people!
12. Our commute time will generally triple during tourist season.
Look at em'... like a ton of little ants just scurrying about!
13. Bear spray is not enough to keep you alive if you are stranded in the backcountry.
Um, no. Just no. Bear spray is like a human marinade. If you want to stay safe, be prepared for anything.
14. Termination Dust means that summer is officially over.
Dun, dun, dun! We dread the day all summer long. But it sure is beautiful!
15. There are really only two seasons; winter and summer.
The in-between times are too short and sporadic to really even notice.
16. Well, aside from breakup.
You know, that season between winter and summer that lasts for a few rainy, slushy, dirty weeks.
17. No, everyone in Alaska doesn’t live in an igloo.
How is it even possible that we still get asked this question? REALLY? It's 2016. Get it together, people.
18. Berry picking is code for "guaranteed bear encounter."
Is the risk worth the reward? Generally speaking... YES! Wild Alaska berries are so delish!
19. Why does that water look so dirty? It’s called silt.
In a land of hundreds of glaciers... silt happens. Get used to it.
20. Those beautiful sandy beaches looked temping, huh? Well, you could die!
What looks like pretty sand is really deadly mudflats that will suck you in and hold you tight... if you're not careful. 😉